Anchor line getting twisted up

ERock82

Petty Officer 1st Class
I was using a 50ft solid braid anchor line 1/2" thick that I bought from Walmart (Attwood or Ozark Trail brand) and it worked excellent for 3 years until it got caught in prop and I had to cut loose. I went to buy a replacement and the only thing I could find in the store was 50ft solid braid 3/8" Ozark Trail brand. I bought it bc it was strong enough for my use. Held great and worked great until I go to coil it up as usual. It was twisted up so bad it drove me nuts. I pulled it tight and coiled it neatly around my arms. Now I go to use again and its all twisted up.

Is this just because it's 3/8" instead of 1/2"? Is it because it's Ozark Trail and not Attwood? Seemed same quality at first.

Hate throwing it out and buying new, so is there any fix for this? I always wrap up nicely so that's not the answer.

Thanks!

ERock82

Petty Officer 1st Class
That rope is only good for the trash can unless there's a fix for the tangles.

robert graham

Admiral
Maybe untangle the rope, pull it out straight, untwist it and lay it in the sun for a few days to relax the fibers.....

ERock82

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just Twisted solid braid. Same as the good line I had. Must be the thickness

southkogs

Staff member
Maybe untangle the rope, pull it out straight, untwist it and lay it in the sun for a few days to relax the fibers.....
The twisting from coiling around your arm ... if you're not looping properly, you twist the rope.

Might try getting it wet, laying it out like above.

alldodge

Staff member
I see two issues, 3/8 line is easier to tangle, but the rode should never be rolled up on the arm, the coil is to small. Need the coil to be about 3 feet, or use a milk crate or boxed area of similar size. Start with stretching it all out, then coil in one hand the diameter of the box. When your hand gets full, lay it inside the box, then coil some more, continue until complete.

Connect the anchor and when hauling back it, repeat sequence bring it back in. Make sure anchor has a swivel.

That said, the working load is under 400 pounds, not much. Unless you have a real small boat I would go up to 1/2 and just get it online

tpenfield

Staff member
Do you have a swivel after the anchor chain so the rode can relieve and twists it may have as it takes the load? Best to 'flake' braided line (rode) rather than coil it.

​I will say that usually the twisted line puts up more of a fight than braided line :noidea:

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Gonna disagree with you guys who say to coil or flake an anchor rode. To me, that's a sure recipe for knots and tangles when you deploy it.

To straighten a new line, tie off the bitter end end and feed out the end with the shackle on it (but no anchor attached), Let the boat drift for 15 mins to a half hour while the line 'relaxes'. You can drag it at low speed if you need to. Pull it in hand over hand and just let it drop straight down to the deck, bucket, anchor locker or wherever you stow the rode. Don't coil it, don't flake it, don't twist it in any way. Attach the anchor and and you should be set.

Every time you retrieve the rode, just let it drop straight down into its storage area, no matter how messy it looks. It'll come back out again the same way it went in without tangling.

My .02