Anchor for Jet Ski.

hvluve

Seaman Apprentice
Do I have to have an Anchor for Jet Ski? Is this Required by law? Please let me know.

Thanks.

bigdaddypt

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Anchor for Jet Ski.

You're in Ohio right? If so, the answer is no.

The following vessels are exempt from requirements to carry an anchor and line:
any vessel less than 14 feet in length;
any canoe or kayak;
any sailboat less than 21 feet in length.

Check out this website. I would get familiar with all of the laws and requirements: http://ohiodnr.com/tabid/2740/default.aspx

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Do I have to have an Anchor for Jet Ski? Is this Required by law? Please let me know.

Thanks.

Don't believe what you hear on the internet. It would be best if you contacted your local Marine Patrol, USCGA or Power Squadron. They will tell you the truth, provide you with a booklet on ALL the requirements and even sign you up for a course.

Regardless what the law says, you DO need an anchor as well as a boating safety course.

86 century

Ensign

Can't say if you haft to have one in your state.
In Indiana we don't however there are some really cool fold up models that take up next to no room.
They are kinda handy some times.

jetboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I woudn't believe what you read on the internet but i would follow Bigdaddypt's advice and click on the link he posted --it takes you to the actual Ohio Boating Regs on the ODNR website---his post was right on.....can't get any better advice than that!

It will say PWCs don't NEED an anchor by law in Ohio (I live here too). But one is highly advisable---- I just bought a cooper anchor--- it's nylon so it doesnt scratch up your ski and holds amazingly well. A little pricy at $49 shipped but to me it's worth it (I live on a lake and have been boating 41years and have a boxful of useless anchors I've bought over the years.....the Cooper is a great design for a PWC)