anchor and fender opinions

gt

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Just ordered a new boat, Alumacraft Trophy 195 / Yamaha F150. Man it's gonna be a long winter....

Loaded, figure 2700-3000lbs..
Will be strictly fresh water, usually less than 50', mix of mud/grass/rocky bottom. What type/weight anchor do you figure. I've always used fluke style, but in a smaller boat. I'm thinking a fluke type for fishing, and a heavier navy style for occasional mooring in front of rental camp. (need to keep it off the dock when the water's rough)

Also, figure gunwale about 25-30" above waterline. What size fenders would you recommend for dock protection, and what's the best way to hang them?

Thanks in advance,
Gary

Catalog picture
Trophy195l_1.jpg

ReelPlumber

Seaman
Re: anchor and fender opinions

?Lightweight or Danforth Anchors - These anchors have two long flukes that pivot and bury the anchor under tension. They hold best in firm sand, gravel or mud. Danforth type anchors are not recommended for rocky or grassy bottoms were they cannot penetrate, and clay bottoms were they may not hold well.
?Mushroom Anchors - Mushrooms are meant to be used for providing permanent mooring and are not suitable for normal use on a recreational vessel. An effective example of this anchor type can weigh several thousand pounds. When used for long-term mooring the mushroom shape of the anchor helps it settle into soft bottoms and resist breaking free.
?Grapnel Anchors - These anchors have four or more arms to are designed to hang up or snag on brush and outcroppings on the bottom. They are commonly used on very small boats and can be used to retrieve lost objects in the water. Grapnel anchors do not work well on mud, sand and gravel bottoms. They may work effectively in some rocky areas.
?Kedge or Navy Anchors - Navy anchors are the traditionally styled anchor best known by the public with their prominent arks, flukes and stock. These anchors work well in grassy or rocky bottoms. Navy anchors are not commonly used on recreational boats because they depend on their great weight and size to hold a boat.
?Claw or Bruce Anchors - These single fluke anchors allow the boat to swing in a full circle without breaking loose. They tend to reset themselves immediately in most bottom conditions. Claw anchors hold well in most bottom conditions.
?Plow Anchors - Plow anchors are a favorite of many cruisers. They offer good holding power in many different bottom conditions, but do not perform well on soft bottoms. Plows work by digging into the bottom while the anchor is set. Delta style plows have a fixed shank, while the shank of the CQR style anchor pivots. These anchors tend to reset themselves well.

Read more: http://boatingsailing.suite101.com/article.cfm/common_types_of_boat_anchors#ixzz0XGoQxYSH

If you are going to use fenders at the dock I would put the fenders on the dock in several locations. It is actually best if you can keep the boat off the dock with mooring whips.
http://www.myboatsgear.com/mbg/product.asp?prodID=891

Boatist

Rear Admiral

I would get the best anchor made, the Fortress FX-7 a 4 pound Aluminum anchor. It will hold up to a 27 foot boat and digs in faster than any anchor I have ever used. It is slick so mud and that type stuff does not stick. Even the wife can pull it with no problem. Much better than the 8 pound Danforth we replaced as it digs in faster and deeper and holds better. Go to the Fortress web site and check out the US Navy test.

http://www.fortressanchors.com/

http://www.fortressanchors.com/anchor_tests.html

It is not a cheap anchor but the best I have ever used. Wife loves it.

The Fortress does have one thing that is different than many anchors. It is light weight so if you just pull up to your spot and put boat in reverse and start lowering the anchor it may never reach bottom. It may sail out in front like a fishing lure. Instead get to your spot put engine in reverse until just get some stern way and take the engine out of gear. Lower anchor to bottom then put the engine back in reverse and pay out the scope you want. when your stop paying out line it will dig in and not drag at all so tie it off fast or hang on tight.

Fenders again get the best with a lifetime warranty. Taylor Made with an inflation valve. I have a 21 foot Aluminum boat and use a 10 inch by 30 on the Bow a 8 inch by 22 at the Stern and in the middle.

skargo

Banned

I second the Fortress, it holds my 1978 21' Wellcraft perfectly, and the FX7 only weighs 4 lbs. It does have issues in grass though, but holds well in mud, clay, sand, etc.

Lyle29464

Lieutenant

I ALWAYS use chain. It really helps you set about any anchor and resets if tide etc change. Plus you do not need near as much scope.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Gary, the fluke type anchors will hold well on any soft bottom (mud, sand and grass). If you have the occasional rock, it will hold fine as well. A hard bottom requires a different anchor, like a navy anchor. You need an anchor line about 5 times the length of the average depth. Chain is better than no chain, however, it is a drag to use. I only use it if I need it, and I determine that by experimentation with the boat on a windy day. If it holds without chain, you may skip it.

Bumpers and fender type and size vary depending on the conditions at the dock. I have a NE exposure on a large bay. I use mooring whips and automotive tires lag bolted to the dock, as bumpers. Nothing else works when you have a Noreaster pushing 5 foot waves down the lagoon. If your dock is on the windward side of the lake, you will need better fenders or mooring whips.

T Wardy

Cadet

Congrats on the boat...I ordered a new Alumacraft Classic 165 CS (with a 60 HP 4 stroke merc) five weeks ago...still waiting! I may have to order one of these anchors!

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

A 13 lb Rocna with at least 10 feet of 1/4" chain, and with at least 200 feet rope available (I'd make one rode with all the chain and 75 feet of rope for most situations and simply tie on the extra 125' feet of rope when needed), would be an awesome hook for your boat. It would cover all your needs. Not cheap though...

gt

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks guys. I like that Fortress, I'll definitely look into that. As for the whips/etc., they're not an option. I'm talking rental camps, not mine. Usual camp I get has a good dock, south end of a northern VT lake. Decent fenders will be fine overnight, I just had no idea as to what size. Problem is, if I end up camping at the north end, it can kick up pretty bad. Most camp owners use a lift. For me, it will mean mooring. Bottom is mud/sand with a lot of big rocks. With a typical south wind, the boat can end up on the rocky shore pretty quick, so I need an anchor I can trust. I have an old 20lb navy anchor. If I end up mooring, I may use both that, and the Fortress at night.

Thanks for the advice,

Gary