an WHY are we ******* with this comet, anyway..??

Homerr

Commander
Re: an WHY are we ******* with this comet, anyway..??

The same 'ol reason Crab... They need to waste our money so they can get more next year.<br /><br /><br />H.

JRJ

Commander

They shot first and we need the target practice. It may be Chinese. There is intelligent life on it, and we can't have that :p

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Do you know what comets are made of, Crabby?<br /><br />The more we know about the history of the universe and of earth, the better we can prepare for, and predict, the future.

Homerr

Commander

LOL JRJ...<br /><br />Yea that's it...<br /><br />Actually, I think Saddam has a base there for weapons of mass distruction. We're going there to stop him.<br /><br />H.

BLU LUNCH

Lieutenant

W. ordered it. Terrorist ever get there hands on a comet and use it against we are in deep doo-doo. Thank god that Commander in cheese is on the case. It's like a episope of Car 54.....I can hear President Toody going-oh-oh............

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Because it's there, and because we can.... :D <br /><br />Geeez Crabby.. Ain't you ever shot at somthing or blowed anything up before?..... :p

crab bait

Captain

MAN,, you guys are sicker then me..!!<br /><br />very funny an clever responds'.. almost to good..( great envy factor on my behalf )<br /><br />YEA SNAPPER,, i didn't consider the 'blast-for-da-fun-ofit' factor.. guess i'm gettin' old.. showin' my age..

SpinnerBait_Nut

Oh yea, it don't get much better than just blowing something up for the heck of it.<br />They want to know how we were made and what might happen for us to end.<br />Well, I will end when I die and that's all I need to know.

SpinnerBait_Nut

And for just 333 million dollars at that.

willamettejeff

Chief Petty Officer

I can't help wondering that now that they have only "slightly" altered its path what it might now collide into and send hurdling our way.

cistn

Seaman Apprentice

because if we can figure out how the universe was made, we can figure out how to end it,,case closed

marcmccain

Petty Officer 1st Class

That 333 million dollars didn't just go in a hole somewhere. It paid for contracters around the U.S. for parts manufacture, parts, transportation of parts, and services. It went into paying salaries that bought cars and groceries and made house payments and paid for kids educations; e.g. it went back into the economy. <br /><br />Why do cops and the military target practice? So they can do the job they are called on to do when people need them, right?<br /><br />Nothing new here. When there is a problem everyone applaudes the military and the industry that supports it. But between wars and problems -- who needs them, right?

SpinnerBait_Nut

And I could think up a lot of things better to spend 333 million dollars on besides trying to figure out how the earth was made.

bigbad4cyl

Petty Officer 1st Class

actualy i live here in the bayarea and most all of those employed were forigners sent here because they say they couldnt find any one else localy to train to screw up........so they made there money saved most of it then will take it home with them to there country when they have had enough.......and the commet is another waste of money ,,,,its kinda stupid to go burnnin gas crusing around the atmosphere doing experements that will some day be deemed unessasary,,,,,,,,,,,,we should realy stay on the ground and develop new technologys with the money ,,untill we can come up with a way faster mode of exploring,,,,,,,maybee spend the money on middle class america ...im feeling drained by this office...

D

DJ

Why did we go to the moon?<br /><br />Was it a wast of time? I don't think so. <br /><br />The space program has brought mankind more new technologies than we can count. Anybody ever heard of Velcro or Kevlar? Both are directly from the space program, to name just two.

JB

I can't wait to use Aerogel for insulation, etc.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

How about them ball point pens.. :)

RPJS

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by snapperbait:<br /> How about them ball point pens.. :)
I read somewhere $3.6 million to develop a ball pen that worked in space. The Russians took a pencil!!

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Not true, RPJS.....<br /><br />A fella by the name of Fisher spent his own money to come up with the idea for the ball point pen.. <br /><br />from snopes.<br />Fisher spent over one million dollars in trying to perfect the ball point pen before he made his first successful pressurized pens in 1965. Samples were immediately sent to Dr. Robert Gilruth, Manager of the Houston Space Center, where they were thoroughly tested and approved for use in Space in September 1965. In December 1967 he sold 400 Fisher Space Pens to NASA for $2.95 each. <br /><br />Lead pencils were used on all Mercury and Gemini space flights and all Russian space flights prior to 1968. Fisher Space Pens are more dependable than lead pencils and cannot create the hazard of a broken piece of lead floating through the gravity-less atmosphere.<br />end quote.<br /> http://www.snopes.com/business/genius/spacepen.asp <br /><br />IMO, It could be argued as to wether or not ball point pens would have "caught on" with the public had it not been for NASA's need for such an item...