an ounce of prevention...

facelift

Cadet
Hey y'all. I was fortunate to get a super clean little '98 bayliner capri 1850 ss with mercruiser 3.0litre/lx & alphaone. We got at the end of last summer & has spent the winter in my garage in las Vegas. I want to start off this season right & take good care of our new toy. My question is how? Change oil, gear oil in out drive, oil filter....what else should I do? Looks like zirc fittings on out drive? I have to own up to very mild dings in prop...is that critical so not out of balance/chewing things up? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

facelift

Cadet
Re: an ounce of prevention...

Its also worth note than I'm only second owner. Its been garage kept and its absolutely immaculate... like new. Plus I got it for a steal. So you know why I really want to do the right thing here...

tpenfield

Staff member

Get yourself the maintenance manual for the engine. It will outline the things you needs to do, along with the associated instructions.

Keep an eye on the structure down below in the depths of the boat. Make sure that water is not getting trapped anywhere and that the stringers and transom are not retaining water or starting to rot.

With those measures, you will be more assured to have a good boat for an extended period of time.

Bondo

Staff member

Hey y'all. I was fortunate to get a super clean little '98 bayliner capri 1850 ss with mercruiser 3.0litre/lx & alphaone. We got at the end of last summer & has spent the winter in my garage in las Vegas. I want to start off this season right & take good care of our new toy. My question is how? Change oil, gear oil in out drive, oil filter....what else should I do? Looks like zirc fittings on out drive? I have to own up to very mild dings in prop...is that critical so not out of balance/chewing things up? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,.... Start Here, which is found in Here...

facelift

Cadet

Wow. A little light reading in the morning...see what ya get smiling...lol
Thanks for replies. Guess I got some work to do. Guess I asked for it though, didn't I.
Great info. And thanks a bunch for link to manuals, that will obviously be very helpful.

facelift

Cadet

fortunately, it has been garage kept and barely used. And here in Las Vegas it is extremely dry. So everything dries out very well

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

If the prop still functions correctly and does not make the boat vibrate, it will be fine with a few dings. The bearings in the gear case are able to handle unbalanced loads without issues.

90stingray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I would do the crankcase oil and filter. Sterndrive oil change. I would also change fuel filter in the carb and the water seperating filter if you have one. If you don't, i would add a seperating filter. Check trim and steering fluid. Grease steering and drive hinges and gimbal bearing. Check all fittings on transom for proper seals... like depth finder, stairs, tiedowns, etc... reseal as required. Check battery cables, clean and grease. Dont forget to pull wheel hubs and clean, inspect, and repack wheel bearings. Check rollers, coupler, safety chains, straps, lights. These are just a few things to get you started. Goodluck!

facelift

Cadet

Thanks to all of you again. Understood everything suggested. Nothing really way over my head with regard to tools & ability. Guess my only remaining question/concern is that prop. There is zero discernible vibration or feedback. It doesn't pull one way. No loss of performance out of the hole or top speed. But a buddy planted that little seed in my head that it should be priority #1! If so, so be it, I'll do it, but that's $ could be used elsewhere. (Local shop repair $85 or think I saw at west marine $170). So do you really think based on fact it runs smooth & true that it can wait?

tpenfield

Staff member

No way to tell about the prop without seeing a few pictures

But if it ain't broke, don't fix it.