An interesting malfunction on '84 115.

iwombat

Captain
Was out on a friend's boat Saturday when it lost power and started running on two. Dropped anchor and started messing around . . .

Determined it wasn't running on the top two, but it seemed to have hot-enough spark. (no proper spark tester)

Eventually, we tried pumping the bulb though and if you kept pumping REALLY HARD it would get the other two cylinders to fire. I figured a stuck float - I was sorta right.

We had a full tool kit, so off came the top carb. When we opened it up the float valve bushing had walked out a couple of turns and there was no way that float valve was going to open up with anything more than a couple of drops in the float bowl. 1/2 hour later and we had a healthy motor again. PHEW!

Anyway, just sharing an odd one.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: An interesting malfunction on '84 115.

good trouble shooting, he was lucky to have you with him. he could have toasted that motor.

iwombat

Captain
Re: An interesting malfunction on '84 115.

What was strange was that the top plugs were wet, so it was getting SOME fuel. Sure looked like a spark problem with the wet plugs. Anyway, I've filed that away as something to check for in the future.