An iboats Ski Trip?

KennyKenCan

Commander
Anyone interested in getting together for a ski trip this winter?<br /><br />Even if its done regionaly, so everyone can attend, according to where they live.<br /><br />I would like to see, if those living in the northeast, would like to meet up at Killington or Okemo, for some winter fun.<br /><br />If so, we'll have to see what kind of arraingements would be necessary.<br /><br />Just an idea...

sangerwaker

Commander
Re: An iboats Ski Trip?

You mean snow skiing? I water ski all year here. Any brave souls?<br /><br />Sorry, Kenny, I'm not much on snow skiing, but I know lots of folks are. Heck if one is in my neck of the woods, I might go hang out at the chalet or something.

KennyKenCan

Commander

sangerwaker,<br /><br />You live in Minnesota and you don't snow ski?<br /><br />That just seems very weird to me!<br /><br />But, to each his own!!

CoachHolland

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Love Snowshoe and Winterplace in West Virginia. I love skiing out on the snow, though Cupp Run and The Widowmaker tend to make pulp out of me.<br /><br />WV is about as far as I travel, so if anyone is interested in the area, I'm game.

sangerwaker

Commander

Yeah, KKC, I've been called weird before, even worse! Brain dead, nuts, crazy, and that's just from my wife!

Butch Ammon

Petty Officer 1st Class

Oh wow....<br /><br />I used to go skiing all the time when I was stationed in Boston, MA with the Coast Guard!<br /><br />Killington? ....LOVE IT! :D In fact, I still have a huge, enlarged, photo of me taken from Bear Mt's lodge, looking up at Outer Limits. I safely made it down the trail, and right near the bottom, I held up a fist, pumping it in the air, when the photo was taken!<br /><br />For those that don't ski or never been to Vermont, Killington is the ultimate mountain of all mountains. Killington is the east coast's answer to Vail, Aspen, or Squaw Valley.... There is an {infamous} trail at Killington called "Outer Limits". It is true... If you fall, then God help your a**, 'cause you are going to slide all the way down to the bottom!!! :eek: Put it this way... That nasty trail is so steep is some sections, that it unbuckled one of the buckles on my boots! :eek: I think word has it that the trail is something like 63 degree pitch or something like that... It is a right of passage of every skier to ski Killington at least once in their lifetime!<br /><br />Believe it or not, I haven't been on skis since 1993. I still have my trusty Olin Comp SL's and Caber Azzurro racing boots, and all my gear. I just haven't had the time to ski since 1993 and was stationed in places where I couldn't ski. Then after I retired from the USCG, I moved here to Virginia. Yes, Virginia has ski areas, but they have the most shortest ski season, most man-made snow, of areas that I have seen! ...and they have the audacity to charge darn near the same ticket prices as Killington, Hunter Mt, Stowe, Whiteface Mt, Sunday River, etc...etc...etc...!! {{Oooooo... 11 trails, 1000 foot vertical, and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots of people for only 11 trails! :mad: }} Sorry Virginia... I am spoiled rotten by growing up in upstate NY and skiing on real mountains with real snow and dozens and dozens of trails. If I get back on skis, I'll take vacation and head back up north.<br /><br />Butch A.

aspeck

Staff member

Would love too, but there isn't much snow in Ghana and that is where I will be when the snow flies this year. Bummer. Love the white stuff, but the skis won't get used this year.

Mr.Ladyfish

Master Chief Petty Officer

Sounds like a great idea Kenny but you'll have to count me out. In order to ski I would have to venture to a climate where the temp actually gets cold enough for water to freeze. That is very high on my "Don't Ever Do This List".

KaGee

Admiral

Picturing Sanger, barefoot behind a snowmobile.....snick!<br /> :p

PatPatterson

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by KKC:<br /> sangerwaker,<br /><br />You live in Minnesota and you don't snow ski?<br /><br />That just seems very weird to me!<br /><br />But, to each his own!!
He lives in Minnesota, waterskis year round, and you think it's wierd that he don't snow ski? <br /> <br />He waterskis year round, man! <br />In Minnesota!<br />BRRRRR!!!!!

KennyKenCan

Commander

Then sangerwaker must have some pretty thick skin, or a very thick wetsuit!<br /><br />Brrrrrrrrrrrrr!<br /><br />Gives me shivers, just thinking about it! :eek:

sangerwaker

Commander

Drysuit baby. Wetsuits don't help.<br /><br />KaGee, I haven't done it, but give me a bit and I will find some pics of some folks from Wisconsin who DID barefoot behind a snowmobile!<br /><br />We always ski New Year's Day, no matter the weather. Check ou last year. January 1, 2004<br /><br /> here<br /><br />It's really not that bad with the right gear. People go snowmobiling blow zero, right? I stay dry and toasty inside my drysuit and latex accesories (gloves, booties, headgear).

KennyKenCan

Commander

OK sangerwaker,<br /><br />Just wear do you find a lake or pond, or anything for that matter, that isn't frozen over, in the middle of winter in Minnesota?

sangerwaker

Commander

Mississippi River. Just below lock and dam #2. Launch is open at Hidden Falls park. People put boats in there and fish all year, too. The current is strong enough for the water to stay "unfrozen".<br /><br />That link I gave is all true. All those pics were taken Jan. 1, 2004.

KaGee

Admiral

I loved the part..."And then they called the ambulance"....LOL! :D

sangerwaker

Commander

The guy with the big belly is Kevin. I ski with him quite a bit. Don't know what posessed him to do that last year. The other guy, Dean, does the shorts and a life jacket every year. I've seen him do it at about -2 degrees! BRRRRR.

KennyKenCan

Commander

Oh!<br /><br />Who'd have thunk it was possible?<br /><br />Like everyone else has said...<br /><br />Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!