An ANZAC Day reflection on war etc

Tinkerer

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Tomorrow is ANZAC Day, the day we commemorate those who served Australia in war.<br /><br />It’s like Memorial Day in the US, but probably of greater significance to more of our people than Memorial Day seems to be in the US.<br /><br />There are countless examples which exemplify the spirit and sacrifices we honour.<br /><br />The one which always comes to my mind is the extraordinary action of our 39th Battalion in New Guinea in WWII. These largely teenage and not very well trained and badly equipped, but fortunately very well led, militia fought overwhelming Japanese forces to a standstill during a tenacious and courageous fighting withdrawal which allowed fresh forces to roll the Japanese back. It was the first land defeat of the Japanese in WWII and the start of the island campaign which forced them back to Japan and ultimate defeat.<br /><br />One of the many selfless acts was after a party of a dozen or so mostly walking but still badly wounded had been sent back down the Kokoda Track to make their own way to medical help many days away. A day or so later the Japanese attacked 39 Bn in force. The situation was so desperate that a runner was sent down the Track to see if any of the wounded could return to fight. All but one went back immediately. The bloke who didn’t had severe leg wounds; couldn’t move by himself; and although he wanted to return he was left behind as he would have slowed the others down too much.<br /><br />After their magnificent action our top commander, General Thomas Blamey who was an excellent staff officer but a self-serving total political sh!t in just about every other respect, addressed the remnants of the 39th Bn. They expected congratulation. He outraged them by infamous comments about “It’s not the man with the gun who gets shot, it’s the rabbit who runs.” . There was a distinct prospect of a mutiny by the disgruntled troops, whose officers dissuaded them from carrying out their threats. This is what they looked like not long before http://images.google.com.au/imgres?imgurl=http://www.users.bigpond.com/battleforaustralia/webgraphics/Kokoda/Menari.39th.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.users.bigpond.com/battleforaustral ia/battaust/KokodaCampaign/Isurava/IsuravaIndex.html&h=284&w=461&sz=50&tbnid=y4mQ9ERaRZIJ:&tbnh=77&tbnw=125&start=1&prev=/images%3Fq%3D39%2Bbattalion%2Bkokoda%2B%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D% 26rls%3DGGLD,GGLD:2005-06,GGLD:en%26sa%3DN<br /><br />A day or two later Blamey visited the 39th Bn sick and wounded in hospital. When he entered the ward they started munching on lettuce leaves and singing the chorus from a popular song:<br /><br />Run rabbit - run rabbit - Run! Run! Run!<br />Run rabbit - run rabbit - Run! Run! Run!<br />Bang! Bang! Bang! Bang!<br />Goes the farmer's gun.<br />Run, rabbit, run, rabbit, run.<br /><br />Blamey was not happy.<br /><br />All this exemplifies the best in our service men and women: courage; tenacity; selflessness; mateship; respect for leaders who deserve it and contempt for those who don’t; and a sense of humour to endure bad situations.<br /><br />Needless to say, when the 39 Bn, and countless other, troops got home they were treated badly. Jumped up little clerks who’d spent the war hiding behind filing cabinets denied them medical and other benefits because they couldn’t produce records of their wartime injuries. The fact that battles can lead to the lack or loss of records didn’t matter.<br /><br />So now I jump to today.<br /><br />We’ve just landed 450 soldiers in Iraq to provide security for a unit of Japanese army engineers. <br /><br />Bit of a turn around from 60 years ago when we had a “no prisoners” policy with the Japanese, but never with the Germans, at the grunt level regardless of what the intelligence officers wanted. <br /><br />The Japanese C.O. in Iraq will attend our troops’ ANZAC day ceremony tomorrow.<br /><br />Despite fears about resurgent Japanese militarism and its curious attitude to its wartime history school history books (which I‘ve raised in another thread and am now reconsidering), Japan hasn’t been involved in an external or internal conflict for the past 60 years. It’s honoured the peaceful constitution imposed on it after WWII. Meanwhile Australia, the US, the UK, France, China, and others have all been involved in various wars during the same period. <br /><br />So the Japanese still refuse to acknowledge their participation in atrocities in WWII? So do Australians. We shot lots of Japanese out of hand, and killed them in other ways. OK, so they started it by doing some unspeakable things to our troops including cannibalism, but we were savage too. You won’t find any of this in any history book Australian teachers are likely to give their students. Even 15 odd years ago when some of the dumb f***s started putting out “educational” books referring to soldiers as “harm workers”., FFS!<br /><br />The Japanese Prime Minister apologized a couple of days ago for Japan’s wartime actions. We can quibble about the wording in translation, but it’s one of many apologies Japan has made in the past 60 years. Who else would put up with having their nose rubbed in something that they’ve apologized for time and again?<br /><br />Maybe there’s no better memorial to the fallen than to work with rather than against our former enemies to build a world where we can forget, if not forgive, the past and work to find ways to live in peace. It's something that people like Weary Dunlop, who endured the worst the Japanese had to offer, did for many years after the war. There couldn't be any greater example of the path to a better world.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: An ANZAC Day reflection on war etc

tinkere<br /> its kinda like here. memorial day is turning into just another 3 day weekend with a kegger.<br /> I always place flowers on the gravestones of those that served and those killed in action at the cemetary about 1/2 mile up the road, contains 150 or so of my family since the early 1800's. its amazing some of the stories they had to tell. seems the hollywood image of war is a bit glorified. seems our politicians dont realize this sometimes. I dont think we need any more apologies from the japs,germans and we dont need to apologize to them anymore. its done,its over. we just need to teach the history of how and why so it can be remembered. the americans seem to remember events not actions and then only for a few days, or the next event. talk to any student here about history and all you get is I cant remember all the dates. I tried to tell my children that while dates are important you can research them again later, facts and details are what is important. do we need to remember the exact date and time pearl was bombed? not really, early december will suffice most the time. we do need to remember the political climate that led up to it.<br />so heres a salute to all the brave men that did what soldiers do when asked to do it regardless of political or religous persuians.<br /> glad to see some remember :) <br /> we all remember the 9/11 event but know one remembers how much provoking it took to get there

Tinkerer

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by rodbolt:<br /> <br />so heres a salute to all the brave men that did what soldiers do when asked to do it regardless of political or religous persuians.<br />
And why not in all countries?<br /><br />They were brave, noble and patriots all.<br /><br />One thing that comes out of talking to old soldiers on all sides is that most of them recognise that their enemy was just like them, and that the last thing they want after being in a war is for anyone else to go to war.<br /><br />It's only the f***ing politicians who want to go to war. The less they've had to do with it, the keener they are. Dubya and Clinton are both an embarrassment in that area. Unlike Bush Snr and JFK and Ike who, despite the various attacks on their histories by political opponents, were up the sharp end when it mattered.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

tinkere<br /> I included all countries.<br /> all soldiers everywhere. goes back to Rodbolts theory on war. the first wave will contain all politicians, the second wave will be clergy and all religous leaders and if its still worth fighting about give me a ring and I will bring my weapons.<br /> seems to many of our political leaders seem to make to much personal money every time we go to war anymore.maybe its just a coincedence.

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Today - ANZAC Day - is a public holiday here in New Zealand too. There are services currently being held throughout the countryside.<br /><br />It's a sobering thought, that most of those who fought and died to protect our freedom were less than half the age that I am now. Most of them were just young fellows, still starting out in the world. With that in mind, no words of thanks, remembrance, honour and respect seem worthy enough.

Laddies

Banned

Thank God for all that served. We must never forget that Freedom is Not Free.

Link

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by Laddies:<br /> Thank God for all that served. We must never forget that Freedom is Not Free.
Amen and like rodbolt said "all countries, all soldiers everywhere"

D

DJ

To all that served, MY undying thankfullness.<br /><br /><br />Today.<br /><br />Teenage and baby boom response.<br /><br />Memorial day is-----what? About war dead ????<br /><br />Those people that are, like, crippled, like, freak me oooouuuut!<br /><br />EEEEEEWWWWHHHHH!