An addition to the family - newbie w/ a '76 SS 16

SuperGrover

Seaman Apprentice
Hello!

Glad to finally be making my first post here on iboats and the Starcraft area in particular!

My Dad and I have recently purchased an SS16. With a young family and what we want to do with a boat, the need for more freeboard than my old Springbok could offer was called for. Not to mention I've had chronic twofootitus for years. She needs some work (of course, :D it's half the fun), but after spending alot of time browsing post after post of restorations here (you guys are awesome!), we decided to go for it.

$T2eC16JHJFoE9nh6m-9rBQM3(iSq5w~~48_20.jpg

She's been a good fishing boat for a few owners. The more than 40 empty holes left in the deck, dash and gunwales tell the tale...

PA050255sm.jpg

PA050250sm.jpg

It came with a Lowrance LCX-17M fishfinder and chartploter that I'm going to have fun with.

The person I bought her from had most of the floor replaced about 5 years ago, but right under the consoles and forward is all punky (that's plywood just laying on top).

PA050259sm.jpg

He also replaced the transom himself around the same time. He says he used all proper marine sealers but it looks like silicone madness to me! I'm baffled that the inside is bare but looking at some of your boats it seems Starcraft built them like this.

PA120398sm.jpg

The transom is solid which is good enough for me for now. I've ripped out the electrical system and will spend the winter redoing it and the forward floor, as much as I would like to just gut her and do the same level of restoration many of you have done, this one will be in stages.

I'm hoping these pics are a larger size when the thread is posted, otherwise it looks like I have more reading up to do on Forum use :facepalm:

Have a good night!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: An addition to the family - newbie w/ a '76 SS 16

Welcome to Tin Nuts Anonymous, SuperG. Is she a runner? Ya got a kicker too, awesome. Most of us use PhotoBucket for pic storage and paste the image code. You get a good sized picture. Again welcome and have fun.

STARCRAFT16SS

Petty Officer 1st Class

keep the pictures and info coming...looks like your bow use to have a trolling motor
and maybe an anchor bracket attached....:D
Will the kicker motor raise high enough out of the water when it is not being used??

cj8mule

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Nice 16'. I've been fishing out of one of these all summer and it has been perfect for 3 adults. Good luck with the rebuild and welcome to the madness.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Welcome

Watch the horizon for the dark clouds gathering.... It's MBS & it's in your future :eek:

The Canadian strain is particularly virulent...

Multiple
Boat
Syndrome
:cool:

Enjoy the new to you boat. MBS is easier to catch once you admit to your 1st case of 2-foot-itis :)

shadetree_fish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Welcome to the insanity of Tin!!! And Congrats. I just got an 18SS myself back in July.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Welcome!

Alum boats are cool:cool: But you already knew that:D

matt167

Captain

Aside from those dash tops being swiss cheese, looks like it's nice and workable.. Tinny's can go thru a lot before they can't be brought back. Getting decent electronics with it is good too..

SuperGrover

Seaman Apprentice

Welcome to Tin Nuts Anonymous, SuperG. Is she a runner? Ya got a kicker too, awesome. Most of us use PhotoBucket for pic storage and paste the image code. You get a good sized picture. Again welcome and have fun.

Thanks GA! I've set up a Photobucket account and will try that when I start a Restoration thread.

We were told she last run last year and the guy we bought her from didn't use it at all this past summer (his business took up his time) and lives about 3 1/2 hrs away from where he had the boat stored. We didn't take her out before buying it. The steering is seized anyway. My to-do list is growing...

SuperGrover

Seaman Apprentice

keep the pictures and info coming...looks like your bow use to have a trolling motor
and maybe an anchor bracket attached....:D
Will the kicker motor raise high enough out of the water when it is not being used??

Yes - it looks like previous owners might have strained pasta with it too :facepalm:...

About raising the kicker - I'm not sure, but judging by my 15hp Johnson it should. I took it off this week to work on the Merc's steering cable. I'm not sure if I'll put it back on the same way. I might look for a kicker bracket instead...

SuperGrover

Seaman Apprentice

Welcome

Watch the horizon for the dark clouds gathering.... It's MBS & it's in your future :eek:

The Canadian strain is particularly virulent...

Multiple
Boat
Syndrome
:cool:

Enjoy the new to you boat. MBS is easier to catch once you admit to your 1st case of 2-foot-itis :)

Ah yes, doctor, it's true! Much to my wife's chagrin... I'd love to do a full resto like so many others here, but my work will be in stages. She's got to be ready to use first thing next season. Keeping the peace ;)...

SuperGrover

Seaman Apprentice

Welcome to the insanity of Tin!!! And Congrats. I just got an 18SS myself back in July.

I took a look at your thread - nice find!! Are you wishing she was a 20 footer yet? :D

I've seen a few prices paid on a few threads and I'll have to stop myself if I find any other Starcrafts for a good deal. We paid $2000 for this with an '87 trailer, '87 60hp Merc, 80s 9.9hp Evinrude kicker, and Lowrance fishfinder/chartplotter. I'm hoping the surprises are few.

I'll keep an eye on your thread...