amp draw of aerator

Jcris

Chief Petty Officer
Thread starter
Joined
Apr 23, 2016
Messages
466
I've got a small aerator for 5 gallon live well on my boat. I recently rewired the bow panel and noticed that there's a 20 amp fuse protecting it. That seems like an awful lot for such a small device. What size fuse would be best? 5 amp?
 

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Joined
Jun 26, 2011
Messages
14,605
Jcis, The amp draw depends on the pump you are using. But not even close to 20 amps. More like 2 to 3 amps I would assume. Check to see what the manufacturer states for your pump and then go just a little bit above that. For instance, if the manufacturer states their pump need 3 amps, Then I would use a 5 amp fuse or breaker and you should be good to go. And the reason for that is when the pump first comes on, the inrush current is a little higher then the constant current with electric motors. JMHO
 

Jcris

Chief Petty Officer
Thread starter
Joined
Apr 23, 2016
Messages
466
Makes sense gm280
Inrush is key and I'm thinking a slo-blow type fuse
Beautiful day here in Lakeport. Spring and warmer temps have arrived.
Hope your area is nice as well
Jcris
 
Top