amistad at port

crab bait

Captain
just saw an toured the newly built AMISTAD at the port of wilmington today.. it's pretty neat..!!<br /><br />it's a schooner replica , a baltimore clipper, that was hauling slaves in the 1830's .. when one 'picked' his shackels with a found nail. freed his brothers ( 49 men ) .. lookin' for food in the hull,, found sugar cane knives an a revolt ensued..<br /><br />the boats a real beauty.. docked right next to the pride of delaware the KALMAR NYCKEL..a 6 year old beautiful replica of the first ship to settle delaware in the 1630'.. a swedish ship..<br /><br />also there was tons of slave/underground railroad stuff.. shackels an brands an whips of all kinds.. <br /><br />the answer man ,who's all the stuff was his personally,, is in process of opening up a muesum in philly..<br /><br />the stories he told ,an the questions i asked.. <br /><br />said at the time,, could buy a slave in africa for 50 cents an sell in the USA for 1200 bucs.. now that's BIG money in anyones time..<br /><br />told of the horrible conditions on the slave ships.. the retch, the stench,unbareable conditions.. <br /><br />other mechant ships would say ,with no lie, that you could smell a slave ship 5 miles away.. that's open water folks..!! 5 miles away..that's how bad the slave ships reeked..<br /><br />the dead ,, if they could pull 'em out of the hold.. they throw 'em overboard of-coarse... <br /><br />sharks,, great whites,, would always follow along for the smorgasboard.. they locked on to the taste of man.. <br /><br />said if you could raise the bones of all the slaves tossed overboard .. would have bridge from africa to boston.. <br /><br />it was a beautiful day today 65 degs beautiful clear skys..

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: amistad at port

A truely tragic part of American history. <br />However, they really need to stop trying to rewrite history.<br />Don't feel bad, as the curators of this floating museum are duping EVERYONE they run thru this tour. And it's not all bad, or all based upon fiction .<br /><br />Let's start with that silly line,<br />"sharks,, great whites,, would always follow along for the smorgasboard.. they locked on to the taste of man.." <br /><br />Wrong. And silly. Great whites (they got that part partially right, but there are other migrating varieties of the shark family that do this too), follow the same currents for the same reasons sailing vessels do....Efficiency.<br /><br />And then there is this doozie;<br /><br />"said if you could raise the bones of all the slaves tossed overboard .. would have bridge from africa to boston.." <br /><br />Lewis Farican (SP?) was the one I first heard spreading this BS, and I think it may even be in actual history text someplace, as I've heard it often.... but I haven't found it's source,( unless it's Mr Farican himself who had it rewritten) It's bogus.<br /><br />Once you do the math envolved, you'll also agree.<br />Add Bone length of the average human ,all laid 'end-to-end' to give you "BL".<br />Add them up..How many humans did each slave ship carry? How much of this valuble cargo (yes, valuble even to the monsters who were hauling them for so much each---they didn't get anything for those who died)? How many died?<br />For our math example, let's call this Added figure "A"<br /><br />Now, distance from Africa to Boston.... for "BA"<br />Divide BL by BA..<br />Do it again,so you can be sure of correct result BLxA/BA.<br />Then, multiply by the estimate size of the imaginary bridge to get bridge size, or BS.<br />And finally, to give beifit to the doubt, multiply the result by itself, if you'd like.<br /><br />Equation will be thusly represented;<br />"BLaBLa=Bs"<br /><br />The result is BS no matter how tou look at it, because it is phyiscally impossable for that many humans to live in Africa and Boston combined over that period of time, much less, a potion of these poor souls from the one side, lost enroute...<br /><br />Don't get me wrong. I will agree that the entire slave trade was a monsterously horrible practice, carried-out by evil merchants.<br />But those who would set themselves up to teach our youth, should do so based upon fact,not feelings. <br />Regardless of the great potential to spread knowledge and true historical value such an exhibit could offer, they choose to use it for this?<br />Shamefull to say the least, IMHO! :rolleyes:

tylerin

Commander

could buy a slave in africa for 50 cents an sell in the USA for 1200 bucs
Someone refresh my memory, who was it that sold them for 50 cents :confused:

CCrew

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by tylerin:<br />
could buy a slave in africa for 50 cents an sell in the USA for 1200 bucs
Someone refresh my memory, who was it that sold them for 50 cents :confused:
In many cases their own people....

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

That was quit a dissertation on BS, Perhaps one of the better ones I have ever heard 12footer.<br /><br /> :D BLaBLa=BS :D That is funny!!! ;)

Kenneth Brown

Captain

I see another one going poof, thought I might jump in before it does.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> wow a good history lesson :) <br />I was lucky enough to question history as it was spoonfed me and still is. the slave trade was a horrible thing but I had nothing to do with it nor anyone of my ancestors. in fact the first to arrive on these shores was an indentured servant. its like the teachers that keep perpetrating the myth that the civil war was fought over slave ownership. good post on the math.<br /> I am gonna chuckle all day.<br /> yall have a nyce day now ya heah :)