Amc 578-s

coolguy147

Commander
i have a 1961 mercury 500! according to my tiny tach it it only revving 4930rpm. i have the tach set at 90 degrees and it is on the 2nd cylinder so it will not touch any other wire.

i need to know what size prop i have before i can get a different one.

by the way it is a bronze and 3 blade prop if this helps.

manufacter is michigan.

coolguy147

Commander
Re: Amc 578-s

i also have a 14 pitch 2 blade prop that is bronze

and a alum. prop that is 2 blade. it looks simliar to the one above^ 2 blade. the number from it is 914.

coolguy147

Commander

by the way the boat in my pictures is what it is being ran on. 15foot alumium boat. not sure how much it weighs. i was running very light. some tools gas battery deep cycle and me by myself.

hwsiii

Commander

cool, I tried to find information on your boat and motor, but I wasn't able to find anything. If you will fill out this form for me I will be glad to help you as much as I can.

You might try reading this for a better understanding of changing props for better performance, and for the major differences between aluminum props and stainless steel.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=369057

Welcome to the forum, I will try to help you as much as I can but without more information no one can help you, and I will tell you I need more information than anyone else. But if you would like my help fill this form out and I will help you as much as humanly possible, if you would prefer to not go to this much trouble there are other people who will gladly help you. My expectations are that you are willing to expend as much time and energy as I will to find a better prop for your boat.

Just copy this form to your computer and paste it into a word processing program and fill it out, then paste it into your post or just use the numbers for reference in your reply and type in your information.

Iboats Boat and Motor Info

1. Year, make and model of boat

2. Length, width and base weight of boat, look for boat decal on back of boat

2a.What is the maximum recommended HP for your boat

3. Number of people and gallons of gas normally on boat

4. What do you use the boat for

5. Is it a Deep Vee and if so how many degrees of Deadrise

6. Year, manufacturer and model of motor

7. HP and gear ratio of outdrive IMPORTANT
If you don?t know the gear ratio, you need to pull the plugs out of the motor and put a piece of tape across the prop and the lower unit and then cut it between the prop and the housing then do the same thing on the flywheel and turn the motor until the tape lines up with each other on the prop, it is easier if two people do this, so one can watch the prop while the other counts the revolutions of the motor

8. Manufacturer?s recommended Wide Open Throttle (WOT) range

9. Anti-ventilation Plate height above the bottom of the transom of boat if it is an outboard in inches, use a straight edge or a board under the keel and sticking out to the anti ventilation plate for a reference, and take about 4 pictures for us to see.

AntiventilationPlateStraightEdge-1.jpg
]

10. Is it a bass boat or does it have a pad bottom and is it on a bracket, if so how far does the bracket extend from the stern.

11. Does it have a hydrafoil, dolefin, whale tail or trim tabs and is the motor on a bracket, and if so how far back from the stern is the bracket

12. Manufacturer, model, diameter, pitch, number of blades and whether SS or aluminum props.
IMPORTANT

13. WOT RPM and speed from your current prop and how much gas and how many people were in the boat for the test data and is the speed by GPS. Make sure you trim the prop up until it starts ventilating and then just trim in until it quits ventilating. If you do not have a tach you can buy a Tiny Tach for less than $ 50
RPM ___________ Speed (GPS)___________ No. of people ____________ Gal. Gas ________

14. Are you at sea level or a higher elevation, give us the elevation in feet __________

15. Has your motor been tuned up lately and have you checked that the carburetor butterfly is opening all the way by only using the control on the console, checked compression, looked at the plugs and checked spark, is the bottom of the boat clean and barnacle free, and have you checked the Tachometer against a mechanics tach, all of the foregoing could be the reason your prop is not attaining full RPM.

16. How long has this prop been on the boat and why, at this time, do you think it is the wrong prop.

17. Does the prop show any damage that you can see

18. What problems are you trying to cure or what are you looking for the boat to do that it is not doing the way you think it should or to your expectations

19. If you are trying to attain a better cruising speed and fuel savings or trying to attain a faster speed I will want you to take your boat and run it with 1 or 2 people and give me the RPM and speed readings starting at 3,000 RPM in 500 RPM increments all the way to WOT.
1. 3000 RPM
2. 3500 RPM
3. 4000 RPM
4. 4500 RPM
5. 5000 RPM
6. 5500 RPM
7. 6000 RPM

REMEMBER, The prop I recommend will be NO better than the information you give me.​

The only thing I ask of you is to come back and give me a report of WOT RPM and speed for my database.

H

coolguy147

Commander

Iboats Boat and Motor Info

1. Year, make and model of boat 1962, orlando clipper,and I'm not sure of the model.

2. Length, width and base weight of boat, look for boat decal on back of boat 15foot, not sure, not sure.

2a.What is the maximum recommended HP for your boat 45hp

3. Number of people and gallons of gas normally on boat 8 gallons max on gas. normally 1-2 people but sometimes will take full load of 4-5 people. wel..acually 4

4. What do you use the boat for cruising and possible skiiing in the future.

5. Is it a Deep Vee and if so how many degrees of Deadrise not sure.

6. Year, manufacturer and model of motor 1961 mercury 500.

7. HP and gear ratio of outdrive IMPORTANT
If you don?t know the gear ratio, you need to pull the plugs out of the motor and put a piece of tape across the prop and the lower unit and then cut it between the prop and the housing then do the same thing on the flywheel and turn the motor until the tape lines up with each other on the prop, it is easier if two people do this, so one can watch the prop while the other counts the revolutions of the motor not sure.

8. Manufacturer?s recommended Wide Open Throttle (WOT) range 5500-5800 rpms

9. Anti-ventilation Plate height above the bottom of the transom of boat if it is an outboard in inches, use a straight edge or a board under the keel and sticking out to the anti ventilation plate for a reference, and take about 4 pictures for us to see.

]

10. Is it a bass boat or does it have a pad bottom and is it on a bracket, if so how far does the bracket extend from the stern. motor attaches straight to the transom.

11. Does it have a hydrafoil, dolefin, whale tail or trim tabs and is the motor on a bracket, and if so how far back from the stern is the bracket no. attaches straight to transom.

12. Manufacturer, model, diameter, pitch, number of blades and whether SS or aluminum props.
IMPORTANT
1. michigan wheel
2. not sure need to find out
3.3 blades bronze
* i also have 2 other props both blades one is alumium and other is bronze. bronze is a 14 pitch i believe. not sure on the alumium.
13. WOT RPM and speed from your current prop and how much gas and how many people were in the boat for the test data and is the speed by GPS. Make sure you trim the prop up until it starts ventilating and then just trim in until it quits ventilating. If you do not have a tach you can buy a Tiny Tach for less than $ 50
RPM 4930( tach connected to 2nd cylinder down. tiny tach set at 90 degrees) correct? Speed (GPS)___not sure.________ No. of people ______1______ Gal. Gas ___2-3_____

14. Are you at sea level or a higher elevation, give us the elevation in feet ___central florida_______

15. Has your motor been tuned up lately and have you checked that the carburetor butterfly is opening all the way by only using the control on the console, checked compression, looked at the plugs and checked spark, is the bottom of the boat clean and barnacle free, and have you checked the Tachometer against a mechanics tach, all of the foregoing could be the reason your prop is not attaining full RPM. just restored motor. new tach. boat is very clean on the bottom.

16. How long has this prop been on the boat and why, at this time, do you think it is the wrong prop. probably a long time. was my grandfathers motor. he used it for everything. and not sure.... tach said max rpm was 4930 rpms

17. Does the prop show any damage that you can see...no. a bit of damage on the alumium prop though.

coolguy147

Commander

well i got 3 props. one is 3 blade bronze. part number is AMC 578-S. i cannot find any info on this prop. i need to find the pitch. the engine is only revving to 4800-4900 with this prop. i need 5500-5800 for recommened rpm range. right? the other one is a bronze also, but is 2 blade. pitch is 14. this prop was severely lugging the motor. only 4700-4800 rpm. planned slowly too. last prop was the best. it was alumium and i dont have any info on it. i couldnt read anything on that prop, but it made the engine rev to a improving rpm of 5000rpm. so going from the 14 pitch i should say i would need a 10 or 11 pitch prop? anybody have the gear ratio for this motor? by the way the boat is a 1962 orlando clipper 15foot in length. runabout.

hwsiii

Commander

cool, if you get me a gear ratio and WOT with a GPS on any two of those props I can help you.

H

coolguy147

Commander

ok from the aomci.org website someone stated that the gear ratio is 1.64

i dont have a gps so can we still do this without one?

hwsiii

Commander

Some cell phones have GPS builtin and even a handheld GPS will work, but speedometers are notorious for being way off.

H

coolguy147

Commander

the closest i can get to one without buying one is my sisters boyfriends iphone? would it be capable of being one?

im going to take a break from the prop. first i will take care of replacing the motor mounts.

should the cavtivation plate be even with the bottom of the boat? mine is about 1 or 2 inches below it? this motor's intake is right at the cavtivation plate.

coolguy147

Commander

and i have to isolate my tachometer better from the rest of the motor. yesterday the alumium prop which usually revs 5k.according to the tach it only revved 4200. it was defiantely not 4200.

hwsiii

Commander

I need to see a picture of the lower unit, but I have never seen an intake right at the anti ventilation plate.
Just ask him if he has GPS on it.
Bring a mechanics tach with you to check your tach, you have to know how many RPM you are turning.

H