Amazing free software from NASA

cmyers_uk

Senior Chief Petty Officer
http://worldwind.arc.nasa.gov/ <br /><br />This software is amazing , can you find your house , lake , boat!. It is a very large download 171Mb but well well worth it. Read about it on the site. Apologise if you all know about this but its new to the UK

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Re: Amazing free software from NASA

Yeah Chris, I've dialed right down to my house. You can see my whole yard clearly, vehicles, pool, sheds, boat, etc. Big brother is definitely watching.<br /><br />I understand that some municipalities actually use those to see if you have any illegal (unpermitted) buildings or additions to your property.

LubeDude

Admiral

Before I actually download it, is it more up to date and are you able to zoom in closer than the teraserver site?

Bart Sr.

Lieutenant Commander

Well I downloaded it but it won't work.<br />I get a message box stating"Cannot download Tahoma Bold font."<br /><br />I checked my font file and apparently I don't have it.Where can I get it?

RetNav

I downloaded it and it will zoom to the point of beginning to identify cities and then it freezes up. Haven't been able to do anything yet..

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

this is great ... now I can look at job sites w/o getting off my arse.. lol

Mercury140-I6

Petty Officer 1st Class

I can't get as close as you said you are. How do you do it?<br /><br />Craig<br /><br />skier1@p2kisp.com

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I can zoom in but it is not clear. Is there something that you have to do to make it clear, in focus?

f_inscreenname

Commander

Any one get it to work using windows 98? I see it says to have Windows 2000, XP Home, or XP Professional.

one more cast

Captain

I have windows xp and it zoomed in to where it listed the smaller towns and then froze up my puter.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Don't freeze mine, just like it's out of focus though.<br />I am running XP also.

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

I too wanna know how it compares. But with slow connection and old OS will wait for reports from yall.

cmyers_uk

You need to select USGS Urban Area. Then zoom down to say 1000ft (select position information second button from the left). Then leave it for 5 minutes it downloads the information there and then and starts white and gradually gets into focus more and more until its crystal. Relax get a coffee or a beer the end results are good. Once youve been there once its all cached so its instant.<br /><br />Regardss

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

So you gotta be online as it does it?<br />I get it. I'm having the same problem with the fuzzies..I figured I'd find the answer to WHY in this thread.

SpinnerBait_Nut

How much is 1000 feet in meters? :rolleyes: <br />EDIT: Me thinks about 300 meters = 1000 feet. duhhh.

SpinnerBait_Nut

grrrrrrrrrrr, white screen for 4 hours.<br />My little buddies don't want me found I guess. :D

revertmastec

Petty Officer 1st Class

SBN, I figured it out. There are only a handful of cities you can use the USGS urban fuction on. If you look at Washington DC it is amazing. If you hit a spot that does not have coverage you get a white screen.