Am I the only stay at home dad?

tomatolord

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Am I the only stay at home dad?

I was a stay at home dad for 2 years...I got laid off and the wife was sooo eager to go back to work that I said no problem be my guest, i collected 450 a week for staying home...<br /><br />we have 2 boys<br /><br />Kids love schedules and routines - I pretty much had all of the house work done by noon. 1 was in elementary school and the other went 3 days a week to preschool.<br /><br />EVERYDAY I went fishing!! we live on a small 15 acre lake, in order to keep costs down I did lures or worms.<br /><br />I also took naps everyday<br />Played video games <br />Perfected my ribs and brisket technique..brisket is a cheap cut of meat but if done right is fantastic...<br /><br />After about 3 months I had to start complaining about all the house work as the wife soon realized that work sucks <br /><br />I also had to cut out the fishing reports etc because I was having "FUN" while she was "working" <br /><br />I had male neighbors tell me they would see me fishing everyday and say that SOB!!<br /><br />Plus had a great time with the boys...<br /><br />At first the other men who were working would kind of look down at me or feel sorry for being unemployed... But I would give them the Hey I went golfing/fishing/hiking/took a nap/saw a movie while you were at work kissing the bosses butt, they soon realized that I had the high life. <br /><br />Sadly that all ended when I got a great offer for a full time job and the wife was begging to quit work.

Marc J.

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hats off to you Neumanns. It's the other way around at my house, but it works out for now. I work rotating 12 hr shifts and my wife stays at home. It's really nice to know my daughter is safe and content when I lay my head down, and when I'm headed off to work.

Big Ears

Seaman Apprentice

I took my kid to work with me for around 18 months and did 90% of the housework as we didn't want to send our 6 month old to a daycare.<br />I have since changed careers and gave up working for myself and got a job with the government.<br />This means I'm around every weekend, work a 9 day fortnight and can reguarly knock off at 3 pm and take the boy ( 4 in March ) off bikeriding etc before we pick up mum. Both of us work at the same place and stagger our start / finish times so my son only spends around 6 hours a day in care.I haven't regretted it for one minute and I think the family is much more important that the highest paying job you can win.<br />I also would like to say I agree with NYMINUTE 100%.