Am i supposed to have a "pee hole"

Grice7

Cadet
I have a 1972 165 hp l6 250 ci mercruiser with a pre alpha outdrive. It is raw water cooled. Should I have some kind of "pee hole"? I see the water go in but I see no where that the water is coming out besides a little in the exhaust. I have a coonection on the side of the block for hooking a hose up to, if I open this connection hot water definately comes out at about the rate of a gallon a minute. Should I hook this up to a bilge port so my hot water has an outlet or is there supposed to be a vent somewhere else?

ziggy

Admiral
Re: Am i supposed to have a "pee hole"

the water should exit your drive like this...

IMG_3370.jpg

water exits 4 places. 2 ea. idle relief ports on the gimble housing. out the hole in the ft. of the bullet on the drive and out the prop hub.

this pic is what i think is normal for my '75 165 L6. this pic was right after an impeller replacement..

i don't know of any places to hook up the hose to on the engine. as ya see. i'm just using some muffs.

Grice7

Cadet

I have no water coming out of the ft. of the bullet, Do you know what this indicates? If I blow compressed air through the hole i hear gurgling but it takes a good amount of air pressure to do this, is this normal or does it sound like its clogged? I am torn between a clog or a bad impeller or pump. Maybe its something else. Any ideas?

EddiePetty

Lieutenant Junior Grade

...Grice7,

The next time you have the lower unit off your drive for maintence, examine the void just forward of the lower shift shaft. The void will roughly follow the triangular/tapered shape of lower unit. Straighten about a foot of an old wire coat hanger, hammer one end into a blunt paddle and using a drill at slow speed, start probing. Compare the depth of your probe to the distance of the 'pee hole' from the parting flange to gauge progress. I soaked my unit in CLR to help free some of the crud. With a little patience and lotsa probing, the probe wire WILL intersect the 'pee hole'. I slightly enlarge our drain hole but still encounter the occasional clog. Yearly maintence is the key word here.