Am I propped right? 85 evinrude 70hp

rtpassini

Chief Petty Officer
Thread starter
Joined
Nov 27, 2008
Messages
508
Finally got to open it up today. GPS said 32 mph. rpms were around 6200.

I dont know what these motors can do, or how fast they should/can spin
 

TrueNorthist

Petty Officer 1st Class
Joined
May 16, 2012
Messages
229
Re: Am I propped right? 85 evinrude 70hp

RPM too high. The recommended WOT rpm is 4500-5500 rpm. I would increase the prop pitch and/or diameter.
 

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Joined
Aug 19, 2001
Messages
8,902
Re: Am I propped right? 85 evinrude 70hp

Rec RPM was 4500-5500 RPM, but it is best to aim for the top, or even a little beyond that upper end. Shoot for about 5700-5800 RPM at wide open with a light load and you'll be in the sweet spot.
 

rtpassini

Chief Petty Officer
Thread starter
Joined
Nov 27, 2008
Messages
508
Re: Am I propped right? 85 evinrude 70hp

okay will do. I'll look to see what im at now. Any recommendations on props. I dont need anything special. Also, any recommendations on how much diameter or pitch to go up?
 

rtpassini

Chief Petty Officer
Thread starter
Joined
Nov 27, 2008
Messages
508
Re: Am I propped right? 85 evinrude 70hp

I wish I knew....just went out and looked. no stampings or marks anywhere.

it seems to be a 13" though....not much room to go up anymore either.
 

BonairII

Commander
Joined
Jun 7, 2011
Messages
2,727
Re: Am I propped right? 85 evinrude 70hp

I assume that 13" is referring to the diameter....not the pitch, correct? I'm guessing that you're running a 15" or 17" pitch.

Pull your prop...the size will be stamped somewhere on it. At the every least, there will be a part# on it.
 

rtpassini

Chief Petty Officer
Thread starter
Joined
Nov 27, 2008
Messages
508
Re: Am I propped right? 85 evinrude 70hp

yeah, 13" diameter. given, it different and I was just off.
you would like to think so huh? just pulled it and couldnt find a thing.

side note, how tight should the nut be? it wasnt even finger tight. the cotter pin was doing its job.

at this point, I would be happy with just a good "normal prop for this motor" measurement and go from there. i did find some damage.


Theres a few used 13 1/4 x 17 on ebay
Maybe a 13 1/4 x 19. but those are all new
 

BonairII

Commander
Joined
Jun 7, 2011
Messages
2,727
Re: Am I propped right? 85 evinrude 70hp

17" seems to be a good all-around prop for the 70hp motors. I'm running a 17 on my 75hp(crank rated) @ 5850rpm. It could turn a 19" just fine, but I'd lose quite a bit of holeshot.

Yours being a prop rated 70hp... I'm guessing that 17" would still be the perfect prop. Now if you end up finding out that your current prop is a 17 then def change to a 19p.
 

rtpassini

Chief Petty Officer
Thread starter
Joined
Nov 27, 2008
Messages
508
Re: Am I propped right? 85 evinrude 70hp

what about your thoughts on a 13 3/4 x 15?
 

BonairII

Commander
Joined
Jun 7, 2011
Messages
2,727
Re: Am I propped right? 85 evinrude 70hp

I think you'll turn a 15" over 6000rpm....I know that I can pull 6100 rpm when I use my 15, so I have to throttle down a tad.

You're probably running a 15" right now considering your getting 6200 rpm.
 

jestor68

Commander
Joined
Jun 12, 2012
Messages
2,308
Re: Am I propped right? 85 evinrude 70hp

Your motor's rpm range is 5000-6000 rpm. The perfect (hp rated) rpm would be 5500.

Given that your boat's dry weight is about 950 lbs, I would recommend a 17 pitch prop for general duty, and a 15 pitch for pulling water skiers, etc.
 

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Joined
Apr 26, 2002
Messages
19,069
Re: Am I propped right? 85 evinrude 70hp

Jestors got this pretty well down but look under the prop nut for a number.
It could confirm your setup is working but needing a 17" for general duty.
The Solas Amita and Rubex are good entry level props with a history of success.
 
Top