Am I on plane?

patenglish

Petty Officer 3rd Class
47b5d703b3127cce94652d07dd7d00000010108AcsXDJw3buV
<br /><br />Do I need to have the front further out of the water to be on plane?

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: Am I on plane?

Yes, you are definitely on plane. It may go faster with the bow up higher, but you were on plane long before that shot. The clearest definiton I have heard for being on plane is when you rise up and go past your own bow wave. That can be verified by looking at the stern. When the transom has no water coming back to hit it. you are on plane. My guess your boat will plane at around 16 MPH. Not necessarily an efficient plane but planing. ;)

imported_Curmudgeon

Chief Petty Officer

If you aren't sure when you're on plane, maybe you shouldn't be going that fast for a while ...<br /><br /> ;)

Pony

Rear Admiral

I have always thought of being on plane as when the bow begins to come down from its highest point, and then anything after that is planing as well, just planing more and more efficiently as the bow goes down and rides its own wake. Not sure if thats even correct. just my 2 cents.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Being on plane is that point where the boat is riding on top of the water rather than pushing it aside no matter what the bow is doing.

bdirect

Seaman

I thought planing was when only the prop was in the water and the bow was coming back over my head? ;)

bdirect

Seaman

I thought planing was when only the prop was in the water and the bow was coming back over my head? ;)

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

Damn... then I have it set up all wrong...Better take a better look. =o)

4.3sunbird

Seaman

Originally posted by bdirect:<br /> I thought planing was when only the prop was in the water and the bow was coming back over my head? ;)
thats not planing thats making a boat a plane :)

magster65

Commander

Bigger heavier boats plane a little differently. On my boat only the first foot or so comes out of the water. The 'spray' comes off near the bow but it looks like this out back. This was taken somewhere around 20 mph. I took the picture standing at the bridge helm. Planing is when the boat is no longer 'towing' the wash behind the boat and the water exits the hull bottom cleanly.<br />
On%20plane%202.JPG
<br />
Aug%206%20Tod%202.JPG

magster65

Commander

:) <br />Thanks Ray.<br />Just got her a couple months ago... been lovin' it!

patenglish

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Originally posted by Old Curmudgeon:<br /> If you aren't sure when you're on plane, maybe you shouldn't be going that fast for a while ...<br /><br /> ;)
I guess I used the wrong term. What I meant to ask was, am I properly trimmed?

Rick B

Cadet

On bass boats the correct planing attitude is when you see the white water at the aft. That means that you are riding on the "pad" which is what the boat is designed to ride on. From the pic, you are almost there, trim up a little till you see the water pushing out a little aft.

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander

You are properly trimmed when you get maximum speed (thus maximum efficiency) at any given throttle position. Different throttle positions require different trims. Different loads and different load distributions require different trims. There's no way to tell if someone is properly trimmed by looking at a photo...you need to use your gauges to get max speed and RPM for whatever throttle position you happen to be running. It's a dynamic thing and you have to change it all the time.<br /><br />For instance, if I'm running at a consistent speed and someone leaves the bow and decides to sit in the back for a while, I have to trim down a touch to compensate for the different weight distribution.

QC

Supreme Mariner

mags,<br /><br />I think I've said it before, but whenever I see a picture of your boat I am reminded. Like the rottenboy says, that is a BEAUTIFUL boat. I absolutely love it!!! Remind me again, it is a Tollycraft __________ (insert model and year please)

magster65

Commander

Thanks a lot! I appreciate that. :) <br />It's a 1979 26' Tollycraft sedan bridge. It has a 5.7 (350) Merc / Borg Warner velvet drive / Walters v-drive (2:1). She cruises nice at 18 mph and tops out at 28 mph. It has 'buss' heat, propane heat (fireplace), stove, 2 gps, 2 vhf, 3 way fridge, remote pulpit from the bridge and inside, hot water, shower, kick-butt stereo!, tv/dvd, Zodiac/2hp Honda... yep... I'm in love!<br />If you're up this way gimmie a call. The number's on my homepage... we charter for cold buds on occasion :)

AK_Chappy

Lieutenant

Originally posted by magster65:<br /> 2 gps :)
2 GALLONS PER SECOND......<br />Me thinks she is running jus' a lil' rich!!!!<br /> :D :D :D <br /><br /><br />Actually, I am jealous. Nice boat.<br /><br />AK Chappy

QC

Supreme Mariner

That has got to be the biggest 26 footer ever!!! She would work really well between the SoCal Coast and Catalina Island. I covet her . . .<br /><br />Bud? She deserves waaaaaay better than that. ;)