Am I liable if my dog bites someone?

Twidget

Commander
Re: Am I liable if my dog bites someone?

When I bought my house almost 4 years ago, I was asked specifically what if I had a dog and what type he is. There is definitely a list of 'bad' dogs with the insurance company.<br /><br />That being said, I will probably get sued if anyone ever breaks into my house. My sheltie just lays in the middle of the hall and wont move for anything. They will probably trip over him, break a leg and sue my butt off. :)

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant

I have heard of Insurance carriers doing spot checks and non-renewing. It happened to a girl that works for me.<br /><br />On my lake house, when I went to get insurance on it, a question on there was how many dogs did I have what breeds, etc. Another question was a list of certain breeds like stated above. They would not write a policy on it. <br /><br />I was going to get a german shepherd, but decided to give my yellow lab a black lab companion instead....

one more cast

Captain

No Trespassing signs will only get someone a warning the first time. Unless you have solid proof that you personally ordered the trespasser to keep out. Thats what the NY state police told me when I had problems keeping a hunter off posted property.

KaGee

Admiral

Anyone remember what happened to the couple in California whose dog killed another tenant in their apartment complex??<br /><br />Didn't they get prosecuted and convicted??

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Yea KG, I think so, but that dog was loose if I am not mistaken. Maybe on a leash.<br />It don't matter, if you have beware of dog signs hanging up, you are just asking for trouble.

24tesla

Seaman

Yes, Insurance is in on this as well. I was denied Homeowners until I signed a 'Dog Bite' waiver, and my premium was still raised, due to owning a Cocker, that was a mild manored Lap Mut. Indoors only. What a crock of crap. This all stems from the liberal thinking of the lawyers, law makers, and the idiots out there that SUE for everything. It is the new 'American Way'. Look at things like the frivilous lawsuites out there. Cities, counties, and individuals sueing the gun manufacturers becuase someone they knew or loved was killed by a gun made by the company. Or the man that sued Winnibago becuase he flipped his motorhome while driving down the interstate, becuase he put it in Cruise control and left the seat to go get coffee. (He won). The infamous McDonalds incident where the woman spilled hot coffee in her lap when she rearended another car, while putting on her makeup in the rearview mirror. Our justice system is so backwards now. Used to be you forfitted your rights when you were convicted and incarcerated. Now you have more rights being the criminal, or the idiot.

BRG25

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by ZmOz:<br /> Anyway, if some idiot ends up inside my locked gate, and the dog bites him, am I liable for that?
Simple...you will find out when it happens. :rolleyes:

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Originally posted by KenImpZoom:<br />...To each his own, but I still dont understand why anyone would own a dog like that. <br /><br />Ken
Protection. In my opinion, one of the best anti-theft devices available, especially if one lives in an area where there is a reasonable chance of a break-in. <br /><br />Note that I'm not talking about an unsocialized pit bull or rotweiller that couldn't be trusted at any time (like even with you standing next to it). Or a dog that is big enough and of a nature to be truely dangerous, i.e., one that is likely to cause serious damage (wouldn't stop an attack once it started, goes for the throat, etc.). IMHO the owners of those two huge dogs that killed their neighbor in San Francisco were clearly negligent and deserved the guilty sentence they received. And I think an owner needs to be especially careful and show a high degree of responsibility if they have more than one dog; the nature of a 'pack' effect can greatly add to the potential danger of an attack.<br /><br />But how do you argue against a dog that would protect it's home by biting an intruder in the a**, but is completely safe as long as it's territory isn't infringed on when the owner is present, and the owner has put up sufficient barriers to keep the dog in, barriers that would require special effort to bypass in order to trespass on the owners private property?<br /><br />And where do guard dogs for businesses fit in w.r.t. this issue? I'd think boat yards would be one type of business that would use guard dogs at a farily high proportion compared to most other types of businesses. Any Marina owners out there that can provide further information on this topic?<br /><br />Also, given the laws as understood by many of you above (I'm almost positive 'dog laws' are local, and therefore vary in detail from place to place): anyone ever hear of a case where a dog owner is by law penalized for a bit trespasser, but where the owner successfully files a different suit (perhaps civil) seeking compensation for damages caused by the contributing actions of the trespasser (like for the value of the dog if it was put to sleep)? Or whether the trespasser is also simultaneously convicted of trespassing? The two don't seem to be necessarily incompatible to me.<br /><br />I've got two medium sized dogs whose only potential to hurt someone would be to annoy them to death by continually dropping sticks or frisbees at their feet in order to get them to throw them so they can play fetch. But I live out in the country, and purpously put up 'Beware of Dog' signs as a preventative measure to discourage any would be thiefs. Just hope my dogs would have the sense to at least bark if they heard someone breaking in (probably not, most likely they'd run & get a tennis ball instead). We had a road gang convict escape awhile back on the other side of the lake I live on (miles away). This was during the off season, and we have a small proportion of full time residents on the lake (mostly summer weekenders). Until he turned himself in after a couple of days I took my dog out regularly and had her 'speak' just to let the guy know there was a dog present if he should be near (fortunately my dogs sound bigger than they really are). Seemed like a prudent thing to do at the time....

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Soon you will be sued if:<br />You have a couple of big vicious dogs and the burgler is denied his livelyhood.

beezee28

Master Chief Petty Officer

I wonder if there is the doctorine of "My home is my castle and I can do what I want in it?" or is this a dead thing? Any ideas?

txswinner

Banned

24 and other hard core name callers. The answer may be yes depending on the animal and it actually falls under a theory of Strict Liability which simply puts means if you do or own something that is inherently dangerous and someone is injured because of it then a tort has been committed and you may be liable. Has nothing to do with liberals or conservatives, it simply an effort to make those who conduct dangerous activities to use extra special caution. Not just dogs, swimming pools, tampolines, dynamite haulers, fireworks stores, gasoline tankers, etc.

txswinner

Banned

24 and other hard core name callers. The answer may be yes depending on the animal and it actually falls under a theory of Strict Liability which simply puts means if you do or own something that is inherently dangerous and someone is injured because of it then a tort has been committed and you may be liable. Has nothing to do with liberals or conservatives, it simply an effort to make those who conduct dangerous activities to use extra special caution. Not just dogs, swimming pools, tampolines, dynamite haulers, fireworks stores, gasoline tankers, etc.

ZmOz

Captain

Originally posted by BoatBuoy:<br />If you have a dangerous dog and know it, you're the moron. They're in the news regularly - their pit bull wouldn't "hurt a flee"; "he somehow got out of his pen" and then chews a little 3-year old girl to death.
What the hell am I supposed to do...put him to sleep because he growls at people? :rolleyes: Do you think I got him because he wants to bite everybody? Do you think I like not being able to go anywhere with him or take him to a kennel? No, someone that sees a beware of dog sign, a 6' locked fence, and hears a dog barking on the other side, and STILL decides to climb over is clearly the moron. It is NOT a dangerous breed.

24tesla

Seaman

txswinner:<br />Not blaming LIBERALS as in DEMS versus REPS. I mean liberal trial attorneys. IE ambulance chasers. The same jerks that help idiots sue for no reason. Such as the guy that broke into a house and when he entered the garage, the door locked behind him. He happened to do this on the 1st day of the 2 week vacation the family that lived in the house had just left for. The garage, like mine has no windows, and he was trapped in complete darkness, and survived on a bag of dried dog food, and 2 cases of Pepsi that were in the garage. When the family got home they called the police who hauled the guy to the hospitol, then to jail. Months later the family got notice they were being sued. Bad part is, yes, it was for cutting into his livelyhood, pain and suffering, humiliation, among other things. Now he is awaiting his release so he can enjoy the money awarded him. Now what kind of crap is this? I blame the lawmakers as well, the ones that allow this crap to happen. The ones that either pass or push laws to allow it, or do nothing to prevent it from happening. This actually happens within both parties. If I have a pool or dog in my yard, and a fence around it, WITH signs warnign to KEEP OUT, or BEWARE OF DOG, then this should be enough. If my dog escapes, and attacked someone, then yes, I feel I would be responsible, but why should I if some idiot climbs the fence ignoring the signs, and drowns or gets bitten. Why is this my fault? That would be as bad as me sueing any of you for an accident I had while driving by your house and looking at the flowers or something instead of looking at the road. My wording of LIBERALS was pointed at money hungry lawyers, judges, and politicians that allow this to happen. Not directed at any political party in particular.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

quote:<br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Originally posted by snapperbait:<br />Yes.... <br /><br />But am I liable, if I bite the dog back?....... <br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br /><br />Only if you failed to get your rabies shot!<br />(Somehow, I believe you would do it!)
Picture this.... <br />A young man (me), about 5'5" - 130 lbs, running top speed and holding a BMX bicycle over my head, screaming at the top of my lungs (ARRRRRGGGGGGG!), chasing a Rotty (also about 130lbs.) who got loose and thought he was going to chase me.... The look on that dogs face, priceless.... ever seen a 130lb rotty go, :eek: while being chased buy a wildman holding a bicycle over his head?......<br /><br />Took your advise, Kagee.. got me a rabies shot today, just incase.... :p

20/20

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Originally posted by ZmOz:<br /> I have a very angry dog that lives in my fenced backyard.
so you addmit your dog is an attacker? <br /> <br />
If a stranger comes near him, they WILL be his dinner.
so you again addmit your dog is mean and will bite? <br /> <br />
Ocassionally some moron will find his way into my backyard, ignoring the beware of dog sign.
This part I do agree with some people are morons<br /> <br />
A few days ago I watched from an upstairs window as some kid climbed the fence to get a frisby, and barely escaped with all his digits. :D
So now you addmit your fence is not good enough to keep the unsafe dog from hurting others?<br /> <br /><br /> <br /> <br /><br />
Anyway, if some idiot ends up inside my locked gate, and the dog bites him, am I liable for that?
From what you wrote you bet your arse.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

A friend of mine got bit by a racoon. Something just wasn't right. The next morning the coon was dead! Figure that one out..... :D <br /><br />jsfinn, I'm sorry, but I didn't see anywhere ZmOz was called that. I read it as the people who fail to respect peoples property and the ability to adhere to warning signs are morons.

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade

SS - I just reread that...you're right. I'm an arse. :) I'm half asleep today.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

I dont know your dog ZmOz, so I cant reccomend what to do with it.<br /><br />My friends dog would growl and bark and hound everyone even if they were standing right next to my friend.<br /><br />I would have put that dog to sleep. It was a german sheperd.<br /><br />His other german sheperd was the biggest dog I have ever seen, more like a horse. It was the nicest dog ever, I would have let my 3 yr old play with him.<br /><br />Ken