Am I in the Twilight Zone?

DFW Miles

Seaman Apprentice
I came back in early from fishing at my local lake (Very windy, caught nothing) and docked my boat. I was out alone so I went to get my truck in the launch ramp line. There were a few people in front of me and it is a three lane ramp so I figured I'd be out of there quickly. I first notice that there are two rigs taking up the three lanes of the boat ramp. No biggie, happens all the time. There is a family of six on the ramp on the right, the father is driving the truck while the young kids (10-13 ish) and the mother are trying to get the boat off the trailer. One child is holding a rope attached to the bow, one is inside the boat alone, couple other kids milling around, father is shouting orders. Boat starts to float so the father gets in the truck and drives off the ramp leaving one small child still in the boat, another holding the bow line and the boat is floating right where he left it.... blocking the ramp!!! Mother now sees that other people are waiting to launch, grabs the bow line and trys to drag this 21' boat against the wind over to the dock. Didn't work. Father finally comes back and starts yelling at everyone (like he and some magnificant plan that somehow they screwed up). After several minutes they finally get the boat pulled out of the way. Guess they didn't realize it had an engine. Next rig backs down. takes up two lanes (of course). This time the truck has some name of a Marina on it. Great, at least he will be in and out quick. He gets in the boat and drives off into the main lake, never to be seen from again. Left the truck on the ramp!!!! Now the other guy starts to pull his truck out. Leaving his 16' aluminum fishing boat beached....... ON THE RAMP!!!!!!!!! We wait for him to come back down and get in his boat, which wont start. Of course. After a few minutes he finally gets going. One more in front of me. He backs in, crooked. Pushes the boat off the trailer with his friend holding a rope attached to the bow, pulls his truck out of the way, and BEACHES HIS BOAT ON THE RAMP!!!!!! AAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!! What is going on? I have never seen such incompetence over and over. The other guy who left his rig on the ramp is still nowhere to be seen, and this is the THIRD person to drive off and leave their boat blcking the ramp! I remain calm knowing that when he gets back he will get in and leave and it will finally be my turn. When he struts back down the ramp telling his friend about how he just "restored" the aluminum boat, he mentions that he has never tried to start the outboard motor. Never, not once, has he cranked the engine on this boat that is currently blocking me from leaving. Needless to say, it would not start. Thankfully the wind must have sensed my frustration and blew his boat out of my way. Finally my turn. I back in and in about 2 to 3 minutes I'm gone. I think some people's minds just go completely blank when their boat hits the water. Just amazing. Hope you get a laugh, I've got to go get my kids from school and it's back out to the lake!!!:facepalm:

Smuggler's Blues

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Am I in the Twilight Zone?

I believe Ron White said it best. "You cant fix stupid".

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

I have seen a very few just leave thier truck on the ramp , around here it often ends up with large black tire marks leading away from the ramp to a truck out into the middle of a field, I often wondered if the flat spots on the tires reminder the owner

kemer1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would guess that the problem is that nobody has ever tought these people any of the proper etiquite for propper behavior at the ramp. Nor is propper instruction a mandatory part of boating. You have to show some sort of compitence to drive a car, you have to have propper training to fly a plane, but they'll hitch a boat to the back of any moron's truck that can write a check to cover the price.

I have to confess, I had to do something similar once. Had a huge line of people hehind me (Memorial Day), and I was divorced at the time. Took my young daughters out for a fun day on the water. Went to launch the boat, and all the spots at the dock were full. So as to not hold anyone up, I backed in, motored off and had to tie off at the open space in the marina...40 yards away and having to leave my truck blocking a lane. Didn't want to do it...but I really didn't have a choice. Must have upset a few people, but couldn't help it. But the situations you were describing were just total ignorance. Why beach a boat on the ramp?!?!?! How moronic?

fishrdan

Admiral

So as to not hold anyone up, I backed in, motored off and had to tie off at the open space in the marina...40 yards away and having to leave my truck blocking a lane.

Sometimes you have to do, what you have to do. I see no problem with your procedure.

The OP's story is ridiculous. Lots of people out there with no common sense or consideration for others, or a nasty combination of both. Seen my fair share at the ramp.............

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

Doesnt this usually happen at the start of the boating season instead of near the end?. I would have politely or carefully moved the boats from the ramp If they were left there unattended more than a few minutes. Or explained how they could do this themselves, before leaving them in the way of other ramp users.

DFW Miles

Seaman Apprentice

Kemer, I often have the same launch/retrieve procedure as you. I will take the boat out myself and have to leave my rig unattended for a couple minutes while I tie the boat up to the dock. Nothing wrong with that at all in my mind. Courtesy is what I believe is missing these days. Not just in the boating world but throughout our lives. The golden rule has gone out the window and has been replaced by people doing whatever they feel like with no regard for those around them.

Only thing worse than ignorance at the ramp is ignorance at the shooting range!! I'll save that for another day.......

southkogs

Staff member

This time the truck has some name of a Marina on it. Great, at least he will be in and out quick. He gets in the boat and drives off into the main lake, never to be seen from again. Left the truck on the ramp!!!!

I would have been sooooooo tempted to flick that truck into neutral.

kemer1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm glad to hear that my actions weren't wrong. But I still feel bad for having to block the ramp even for a couple minutes when there are that many people behind me waiting to launch and retrieve. But at least my conscience is clear now.

nimmor

Petty Officer 1st Class

This time the truck has some name of a Marina on it. Great, at least he will be in and out quick. He gets in the boat and drives off into the main lake, never to be seen from again. Left the truck on the ramp!!!!

There was a local repair shop that used to do that when they would go to test a boat they had worked on. They would back in and leave the truck while they ran up and down the river a few times, and they would do it at a one lane ramp. A call to the game warden stopped that.

Lakemeadan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm glad to hear that my actions weren't wrong. But I still feel bad for having to block the ramp even for a couple minutes when there are that many people behind me waiting to launch and retrieve. But at least my conscience is clear now.

Nope don't feel bad because you are actually keeping the line moving. I do the same thing and I don't run back or hurry to much. The people in line can see what you are doing and appreciate it. I probably use the same ramps as you do and they are crowded like this twilight zone story everyday I think. Now I just sit and laugh and enjoy the eye candie if its there.

soggy_feet

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I would guess that the problem is that nobody has ever tought these people any of the proper etiquite for propper behavior at the ramp.

I could understand if it was a 50/50 split between people parking (boats or trucks) on the ramp, but it's not. Knowing that you shouldn't do that SHOULD be about as natural as breathing...

This is what happens when someone pees in the gene pool....

scrat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm a one man show all the time on the retrieve. My wife goes with my but doesn't feel comfortable backing a trailer or driving up on one.. So to retrieve I have to dock the boat, We go get the truck, back it down the ramp. While I go back to the boat, she gets in the drivers seat (She can let it roll back another foot or two if needed) I get in the boat and drive it up on the trailer. reach over the front and hook the cable, climb off the bow into the bed of the truck or toungue of the trailer. Winch it up and away we go. This is on my smallish16 ft bass tracker.

In an aside, I would LOVE to find a way to self launch my 22 foot high bow cruiser (trophy 2002) if anyone has any ideas.. Once this boat is in the water there isn't going to be any climbing from the toungue onto the bow.. It's 5 foot with bow rails. Thinking maybe a ladder of some kind?

jayhanig

Master Chief Petty Officer

In an aside, I would LOVE to find a way to self launch my 22 foot high bow cruiser (trophy 2002) if anyone has any ideas.. Once this boat is in the water there isn't going to be any climbing from the toungue onto the bow.. It's 5 foot with bow rails. Thinking maybe a ladder of some kind?

Isn't there a dock close by you could walk the boat to with your bowline? Then it's just a matter of teasing the stern towards the dock, allowing you to jump in.

pikefisherman

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had someone in that same club once. I guess he thought since his boat was larger he could fart around and prep his boat,this launch has concrete on one side and gravel on the other soooo I backed my 15 footer on the other side parked the truck and we were on our way!! He looked at me like I had done something wrong.

nwcove

Admiral

I have seen a very few just leave thier truck on the ramp , around here it often ends up with large black tire marks leading away from the ramp to a truck out into the middle of a field, I often wondered if the flat spots on the tires reminder the owner
exactly what i would do! but i might put a tow bill under the windshield wiper!!

metalwizard

Chief Petty Officer

I came back in early from fishing at my local lake (Very windy, caught nothing) and docked my boat. I was out alone so I went to get my truck in the launch ramp line. There were a few people in front of me and it is a three lane ramp so I figured I'd be out of there quickly. I first notice that there are two rigs taking up the three lanes of the boat ramp. No biggie, happens all the time. There is a family of six on the ramp on the right, the father is driving the truck while the young kids (10-13 ish) and the mother are trying to get the boat off the trailer. One child is holding a rope attached to the bow, one is inside the boat alone, couple other kids milling around, father is shouting orders. Boat starts to float so the father gets in the truck and drives off the ramp leaving one small child still in the boat, another holding the bow line and the boat is floating right where he left it.... blocking the ramp!!! Mother now sees that other people are waiting to launch, grabs the bow line and trys to drag this 21' boat against the wind over to the dock. Didn't work. Father finally comes back and starts yelling at everyone (like he and some magnificant plan that somehow they screwed up). After several minutes they finally get the boat pulled out of the way. Guess they didn't realize it had an engine. Next rig backs down. takes up two lanes (of course). This time the truck has some name of a Marina on it. Great, at least he will be in and out quick. He gets in the boat and drives off into the main lake, never to be seen from again. Left the truck on the ramp!!!! Now the other guy starts to pull his truck out. Leaving his 16' aluminum fishing boat beached....... ON THE RAMP!!!!!!!!! We wait for him to come back down and get in his boat, which wont start. Of course. After a few minutes he finally gets going. One more in front of me. He backs in, crooked. Pushes the boat off the trailer with his friend holding a rope attached to the bow, pulls his truck out of the way, and BEACHES HIS BOAT ON THE RAMP!!!!!! AAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!! What is going on? I have never seen such incompetence over and over. The other guy who left his rig on the ramp is still nowhere to be seen, and this is the THIRD person to drive off and leave their boat blcking the ramp! I remain calm knowing that when he gets back he will get in and leave and it will finally be my turn. When he struts back down the ramp telling his friend about how he just "restored" the aluminum boat, he mentions that he has never tried to start the outboard motor. Never, not once, has he cranked the engine on this boat that is currently blocking me from leaving. Needless to say, it would not start. Thankfully the wind must have sensed my frustration and blew his boat out of my way. Finally my turn. I back in and in about 2 to 3 minutes I'm gone. I think some people's minds just go completely blank when their boat hits the water. Just amazing. Hope you get a laugh, I've got to go get my kids from school and it's back out to the lake!!!:facepalm:

Sorry but does the "ENTER" key not work on your computer, thats really hard to read.