Am I doing this right? (measuring) steering cable

motor boater

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok, so I measured the old rack and pinion cable and it was 9ft (just the sleeve). But when I measured points A,B,C and then add 30 inches and round up I end up with 14ft. Here are my measurements.*
A. 17"
B. 93"
C. 25"*
= 135"
+ 30"
= 165
165/12" = 13.75
Rounded up is 14ft. Am I doing this right?
And if so, why is my old rack cable only 9 ft? Remember. Im about to place an order for a brand spankin new rack and pinion steering system with wheel

motor boater

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Am I doing this right? (measuring) steering cable

Cool thanks, but one more thing. I see it says for rack steering "cable replacement" do these certain steps. Now, im not just replacing the cable. Im replacing a 1957 rack "system" which looks different in size compared to todays racks, and another thing is, the system that "was" on the boat with a different Outboard used a splashwell mount, where the cable was mounted to the starboard side of the splashwell and then went straight to the link arm. The new Outboard I have, actually has the tilt tube it will be going through. So if I follow the steps shown in the pdf you posted, wouldnt that still be incorrect? Because the size difference and difference in the connecting method used at the motor?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

The PDF WoG posted should take into account the things you mentioned.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

MB - when I apply your numbers, I come up with a 12 footer. 17+93+25=135. Add 6 (you have 30 - 2.5') and you have 141"/12=11.75' rounded up to 12 feet. It's the added 30 instead of 6. I would re-check just to make sure.

motor boater

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ohh ok. Ill re check right now. And im also going to try the garfen hose method. Lol

motor boater

Petty Officer 1st Class

:facepalm: I see it now, its under "new installation" not cable replacement. Lol... Well, I checked and re checked again, and the old trusty garden hose said 11ft + 6 = 12. And I checked Withe the measuring tape again, and got the same measurements from above 17+93+25=135+6=141/12=11.75 ^ 12ft.... Thanks guys. Again you were right. Now im going to FINALLY place my order for my steering system and be that much closer to getting a line wet. :)

motor boater

Petty Officer 1st Class

and on top of that, if i go with the splashwell mount, the kit is $80 + bucks. what to do what to do???

maybe I will just wait until I finish the work I'm doing to the trailer, then mount the outboard and see what I'm working with. what do you all think??????

GA?????

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

It would be on the bottom of my list.

GA_Boater

be You don't need a splashwell mount. The cable goes through the tilt tube and connects to the steering arm. Remember the pic I marked up the other day?

MB - All you need is this. UFLEX ROTECHW12 Rotary Steering 12 FOOT Package w/ FREE STEERING WHEEL

EDIT - And waiting til you mount the motor isn't a bad idea. You're going to moving the motor around to get the cable through the tilt tube. It can be a tight squeeze with the stiff cable.

motor boater

Petty Officer 1st Class

Some of what I typed didnt appear. I spoke to a guy at teleflex/seastar and he said I should have at least 12" from the port side of the tilt tube to the splashwell if im going to use the tilt tube meathod. I have 11 1/2. Dont know if it will have enough room to turn all the way without hitting the splashwell

GA_Boater

All I can say is there are a whole lotta boats running around with tilt tube steering in boats similar to yours. What the dealer is saying (I think) is there is about 12" of full travel in the cable and since the steering arm is to port the arm could hit the side of the splashwell. But the movement is about 6" from side to side for a 12" total. To find out for sure move the steering arm to port away from the motor center and turn the motor to the full starboard stop. Measure the centerline of the motor to the end of the arm. That's how much clearance you need. 12 inches is a lot.

How wide is your splashwell?

GA_Boater

33 1/2" wide? No problems.

motor boater

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah 33 1/2" wide.. So your saying I should just go ahead and order it huh? Ok well im going to finish the trailer mods, and then the fiberglass inside the boat. Then place my order for the SS15112.

GA_Boater

You have a lot of time before you need the steering, so waiting is no problem because you won't need it until you mount the motor and do any dashboard work (for the wheel mounting).

motor boater

Petty Officer 1st Class

Your right about the amount of work left. I just sanded down the inner fiberglass to lay new glass down. Then later I will be adding primer and paint to the trailer. Then still need to add lights in front and back, a switch pannel, mount the cleats ,etc. oh boy, so much still needs to be done before im completely satisfied.