Am I asking for trouble? Fuel and battery in same compartment

eyes4u

Seaman
While adding a fuel/water separator inline in my fuel system, it occurred to me that I might have done a bad thing. In the space below the splash well, I installed the fuel/water separator, only 10-15 inches from the battery box. The area under the splashwell has a vinyl 'drape' with snaps that I made as a cover. While it isn't air-tight, I can see where it might hold fumes if they were somehow to be some drips under there. Is this a bad practice, or am I over thinking it? Where do you guys install the fuel/water separators on boats that didn't have them previously? Thanks.

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Am I asking for trouble? Fuel and battery in same compartment

i'm no expert, and i may be wrong, my batteries and gas tanks are under the splashwell in a somewhat inclosed space, honestly dont think the gasoline is as flamable or explosive as the hydrogen gas coming from the charging batteries:facepalm:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Most boats are built just like that, especially older ones. The battery isn't considered an ignition source, unlike an I/O. Still be careful when/after refueling. Unsnap the cover and sniff. Besides where else could the separator go?

eyes4u

Seaman

I had the same thoughts....Where else would I put it? The potential seriousness of that error, if it were one, was worth asking the question. I am not too proud to ask a bunch of people with more experience than me. Thanks for the input.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

No sweat, eyes. It's better to ask. Just make sure all the hoses are good and connections are tight and no leaks. Add the checks to your periodic maintenance and you'll be fine. Have fun on your boat. :)