aluminum siding paint

monark200

Recruit
I am getting ready to paint the aluminum sides on my pontoon boat and was wondering if i could just wet sand the original paint. The paint that is on there now is in great shape, I just want to change the color. Do i need to use a marine paint, or can I use a base coat clear coat? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral
Re: aluminum siding paint

Welcome aboard!

I wouldnt wet sand, all you need to do is scuff up the existing paint to give the new paint better adhesion..Scuff, wash, dry, paint.

Make sure you get a closed cell foam roller used for cabintry and alum siding or you wont be happy with your paint job.

No need for a marine paint, in fact I would use Rustoleum oil based paint.
I used it on my project boat in my avatar!

good luck

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I agree with cheapboatkev.

Rustoleum works great! Use the closed cell rollers, and put a little penetrol in the paint. It will come out with a nice smooth finish!

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

I am getting ready to paint the aluminum sides on my pontoon boat and was wondering if i could just wet sand the original paint. The paint that is on there now is in great shape, I just want to change the color. Do i need to use a marine paint, or can I use a base coat clear coat? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Hello Monark..

Aye you can use wetsand method..or dry..or red scotch bright depending on the paint ..

Wetsanding might discolor your carpet.

Yes you can use a base coat clear coat as long as you use the proper adheasion promotors/primers etc. ( Im assuming you want a custom color then ? ).

What toon do you have .. year make model ? and how much ( Im thinking alot if your even talking about basecoat :) ) do you want to put into it ?

YD.

stellwagen33

Cadet

I used rustoleum on my 14 foot aluminum runabout and it looks great. The only thing is I tried to use it on the floor and sand on the bottom of my shoes does wear it away. I would say anywhere where there is a lot of contact rustoleum probably is not the best, but if its on the side of your pontoon boat you will be fine. It should come out looking really good.