Aluminum filled Urethane

ajyanka

Seaman Apprentice
I read in a post a while back about aluminum filled urethane used as a wood sealer...<br /><br /> http://www.iboats.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=26;t=000158 <br /><br />Can anyone lend some insite on weather or not epoxy will stick to the urethane? I was kicking around the idea of coating all of the wood parts in my project boat (transom, floor, stringers) before I glass them in for added water proofing and to save a little on glass and resin in the non-structural areas of the floor. Advice? Suggestions? (I found a CHEAP supply of high quality Al filled urethane)<br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />AJY

ajyanka

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Aluminum filled Urethane

Why not use epoxy? The urethane I found is less expensive than the epoxy. (for the same coverage) According to the supplier in the linked thread the urethane is much better at sealing wood than epoxy. Plus it applies easier than epoxy, it's a one part product. No measuring or mixing. <br /><br />Plus I like trying new things :D

Hawkeye1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would not take a chance if you are already going to use epoxy to repair everything. I doupt it would ammount to much more then a gallon or 2 to precoat everything. I don't think you can improve much on the epoxies waterprofing properties. I guess that came from the Al urethane mfg. I would coat any part to be glassed in a hour or even 30 munutes prior to glassing it in to allow it to presoak so to speak. Nothing like the chemical bond you get with epoxy soaked deep into wood. If you heat the wood a little b4 you coat it the epoxy will soak in better as the wood cools.

crab bait

Captain

HAWKEYE & i are from the same school..<br /><br />that bein' said ,, try it ,, the alum U..<br />if'n you do ,, do use all a favor,, an clue us in.. it's sure is interestin' & i would love to hear all about it..!!

ajyanka

Seaman Apprentice

I have a gallon of the urethane waiting for me to pick it up. I plan on doing a little scientific research myself! I'll check out the sealing properties and the adhesion properties with epoxy... <br />I'll keep you posted!<br /><br />AJY

Hawkeye1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The thing I worry about is the AU might form such a barrier that the epoxy wont be able to penatrait it for a good bond. Kinda of like fiberglassing over a painted surface. You will simply have a chemical bond between the AU and epoxy right at the surface. In your test make sure you epoxy 2 pieces of bare wood as a standard to measure against the epoxy bonded AU surfaces. Let us know what you find.

wezie

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Most one part urethanes (urethane enhanced enamels) are oil based. Will epoxy stick to the oil based paint?<br /> It will not be able to attach to the wood because of the coating.<br />If I were going to put much time in this project, and if the epoxy is supposed to provide some strength, I would not take this shortcut.<br />One the other hand, the construction and epoxy may be such an overkill, that you may never have a problem.<br />Good Luck!

ajyanka

Seaman Apprentice

I’ve been out of town on business for a while and I haven’t been able to do my adhesion tests. Although I have been convinced by you to NOT glass over the urethane. Instead I’m going to use the urethane to seal the bottom of the floor before I glass it in and then glass the floor in around the edges and seal the whole thing, epoxy, wood and all with the urethane. That will save me from glassing the entire floor. I’ll just glass in 6-8” from the hull-floor joint and paint the rest. For the stringers I’m going to do it the normal way, coat the wood with epoxy and glass ‘em in.<br /><br />How’s this sound?<br /><br />Thanks everyone for the great advice!

Franki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I just found an Australian distributer of CPES<br /><br />So I have ordered two litres and will be soaking my transom stringers in the stuff.. <br /><br />Apparently, it is thinner then water and soaks right in.. goes rock hard, has antifungal and antibacterial properties, and increases wood strength and load bearing capabilities..<br /><br />And its only costing me $100 ($50 USD)<br /><br />I'll be soaking my stringers and transom throughly before glassing over the stringers..<br /><br />Given the choise, I'd rather have ripped all the wood out and replaced it with seacast... but the email address I was using to talk to them stopped working (all mail bounced back) so that was that..<br /><br />I read some independent studies of wood treated with CPES and apparently it really does all they say it does..<br /><br />So I'll give it a shot and see how I go...<br /><br />I'll let you know what I discover during the process...<br /><br />rgds<br /><br />Franki