Aluminum bottom repair...

RyBisp

Cadet
I have an 18ft aluminum lowe boat. The seam on the bottom has water seapping in it and also a few rivets are leaking. What is the best way to go about repairing this or is there a sealer/paint that will cure it? Looking the most inexpensive route. Thanks in advance !!

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Aluminum bottom repair...

I don't have a rivited boat, so won't give you specific advice. But do a search on this- I've noticed a lot of discussion on repairing leaking rivits - both dealing with the rivits themselves as well as various products that can be used (like 3M 5200)

RobG

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've used metal tape that you get at Home Depot or Lowes and covered it with a few thin layers of JB-weld epoxy, both my 12 and 14 foot jon boats are leak free around the rivets (i even fixed my bow on the 14 after I smashed it beaching it on some rocks. The tape and JB-weld hold tight.

reckless

Seaman Apprentice

get urself a few durafix rods and a propane/ oxygen/mapp kit from sears.<br />it works like brazing(soldering) to u have to let the heat from the aluminium melt the rod, use a stainless steel brush as they say<br /> i got a few last week and its just as strong as a weld.<br /> http://durafix.com/index.html

GaCracker

Cadet

I never had any luck with the durafix. The boat acts as a big heat sink and you end up warping the hull. That's not so say someone somewhere hasn't had luck.<br /><br />Also tried Gluv-it. Problem with Gluv-it and all other epoxy products is that they can't deal with the expansion of aluminum. They will give short term relief, but quickly let go. I bouth a gallon of Gluv-it and flowed it on the inside on a hot day, hoping it would find cracks and seal them. It did, briefly.<br /><br /><br />I did have some luck using the green/blue sticks sold through Cabela's and other catalogs. Lightly tighten rivits, cover head with the green/blue stuff.<br /><br />I've read about some folks using the Herculiner truck bed coating from the autoparts store (on outside). I don't see why that wouldn't work, plus adds dent protection. If I'm called upon to make the same reapir again, that's the way I'm going