Aluminum boat repair

RyBisp

Cadet
I am re-newing my 16 ft Lowe aluminum boat, I have stripped it down to the bare aluminum and I am about to cover it with gluv-it. It had a live well at one time and there is a hole where it used to be. I was wondering if there is anyway to repair the hole without any welding? Any other input on this rstoration would be greatly appreciated!! Thanx in advance!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Aluminum boat repair

welding a hole hull is very hard, as the aluminum is so thin. you could always use a double plate one inside one outside, lots of sealer, and solid rivets.

CATransplant

Admiral

How large is the hole, and where is it located, exactly? Is it near any rivets? Is it below the waterline?<br /><br />All of these things should influence how you make the repair, in my opinion. Do you have a photo of the hole?

RyBisp

Cadet

The hole is near the center of the hull, center of the boat straight down on the floor. It is a little bit larger than a quater. It is not close to any rivets, approx. 3 inches or so from a rib that runs along the outside hull of the boat. Thank you again for your addvice.<br /><br />Ryan

fastwater

Seaman Apprentice

I had pin holes up to 1/8 inch, and repaired them sucessfully with low temperature welding rods that you use with a torch,but a hole that big will have to be either have a small aluminum plate welded over hole, or easiest is to rivet a small piece of aluminum over hole and place sealant on piece of aluminum before riveting.

D

DJ

Put a patch on the inside. You can then "fare out" the edges on the outside with Gluv It.<br /><br />Gluv It also works better from the inside, for large areas.

ztim

Chief Petty Officer

How about making a plug that will fit into the hole. Then make an inside doubler to overlap the plug and the hull. Seal and solid rivet.