aluminum boat plywood transom

leftseat150

Cadet
I've been working on a 14ft cajun special with a 60hp Johnson. I've laminated two pieces of 1/2 meranti marine grade plywood together with west systems marine epoxy. I fitted it to the hull today and drilled the necessary holes. Should I apply any type of paint or varnish to the wood before I install it for good? I'd rather not encapsulate it for fear it would crack and retain moisture. In addition to that, if it was any thicker it wouldn't fit. I've done a lot of research here and can't find a definitive answer. Thanks for a great source of information.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: aluminum boat plywood transom

Welcome to iBoats! I would STRONGLY advise that you, at the very least give it a couple of coats of epoxy. If not, water WILL get to the Wood even if it is Marine Grade and IT WILL ROT eventually. The best thing would be to encapsulate it with fiberglass mat. It would NOT crack and would add SIGNIFICANT strenth to your transom. A 60 hp motor needs a strong transom. Good Luck and you can always return to ask for help. Pics are always a good method to allow others to help you.