Aluminum boat painting

FishAssasin

Recruit
I have recently purchased a 14' Mirrocraft aluminum boat and began making a few modifications but found myself starting a complete restore. With that said I have been researching different threads on here for information and it has helped a ton. As I wait for warmer weather to paint I wanted to see if anyone has any opinions on what products and how I intend to paint the boat.

I have begun sanding and have the boat pretty clean but will go over it lightly once more with finer grain sandpaper.
Once i am done sanding I plan to clean it with 50/50 vinegar and water and then coat the seams and rivets on the inside of the boat with Goop Coat-IT. When it dries I plan to take it out and water test it and make any repairs that may be needed. Once I finally get the right weather I plan to clean again with 50/50 then dry and use some Rustoleum self-etching primer to lay down a light coating on the aluminum. After primer I will wet sand with 120? Still not sure on that step yet. Then I plan to use Rustoleum Professional Gloss oil-based paint, smoke gray on the bottom and Navy Blue on the sides. I plan to prepare my paint in the following way:

2 Cups paint
1/3 cup Acetone
1 oz Valspar Acrylic Enamel Hardener

Once mixed I will use the roll and tip method of painting with a good foam roller and soft bristle brush.
After the first coat I plan to let dry for 24 hrs, wet sand and then apply the second and possibly third coat if needed.
I have also read that you should let it cure for several days until the paint hardens so that you cannot scratch it with your fingernail.

This is the plan that I have come up with by researching cost efficient ways to paint, any comments, tips, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

supersoaker548

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Aluminum boat painting

i will be watching this thread close as i plan on doing an alum boat with the same paint and colors

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Yep, I'd say that pretty much covers it except...What about the Primer?
Check the Last link in my signature below

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

I have recently purchased a 14' Mirrocraft aluminum boat and began making a few modifications but found myself starting a complete restore. With that said I have been researching different threads on here for information and it has helped a ton. As I wait for warmer weather to paint I wanted to see if anyone has any opinions on what products and how I intend to paint the boat.

I have begun sanding and have the boat pretty clean but will go over it lightly once more with finer grain sandpaper.
Once i am done sanding I plan to clean it with 50/50 vinegar and water and then coat the seams and rivets on the inside of the boat with Goop Coat-IT. When it dries I plan to take it out and water test it and make any repairs that may be needed. Once I finally get the right weather I plan to clean again with 50/50 then dry and use some Rustoleum self-etching primer to lay down a light coating on the aluminum. After primer I will wet sand with 120? Still not sure on that step yet. Then I plan to use Rustoleum Professional Gloss oil-based paint, smoke gray on the bottom and Navy Blue on the sides. I plan to prepare my paint in the following way:

2 Cups paint
1/3 cup Acetone
1 oz Valspar Acrylic Enamel Hardener

Once mixed I will use the roll and tip method of painting with a good foam roller and soft bristle brush.
After the first coat I plan to let dry for 24 hrs, wet sand and then apply the second and possibly third coat if needed.
I have also read that you should let it cure for several days until the paint hardens so that you cannot scratch it with your fingernail.

This is the plan that I have come up with by researching cost efficient ways to paint, any comments, tips, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

FishAssasin:
Welcome to iboats... I just wanted to congratulate you on this well-researched first post... This is a very welcoming place for new posters and questions...., but this is a great example of how to do it... You obviously did a lot of reading and research; laid out a plan; and then posted just for reassurance/confirmation... Outstanding...well done... I'd say your plan looks right on... The primer Wood is referring to is the additiona primer coat (necessary) between the self-etch and the paint...

Post pictures of your results, as we'd sure like to see how it comes out... I am about to paint my aluminum boat as well. Other then application (I think I may spray), this is how I plan to go about it...

FishAssasin

Recruit

Yep, I'd say that pretty much covers it except...What about the Primer?
Check the Last link in my signature below

Awesome thanks. I will throw in a coat of oil-based metal primer over the self-etching primer.
Wish I could start painting now but I am trying to be patient and wait for the right weather I believe it is a bit cold still. I know you want low humidity and warmer temps to paint.
Any suggestions on temp ranges?

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Awesome thanks. I will throw in a coat of oil-based metal primer over the self-etching primer.
Wish I could start painting now but I am trying to be patient and wait for the right weather I believe it is a bit cold still. I know you want low humidity and warmer temps to paint.
Any suggestions on temp ranges?

Most of the paints will tell you the best conditions to use them either on the label or on their particular website...

Looking forward to the finished results...

Good luck and have fun!
GT1M

camwillett

Cadet

Nevermind... I just re-read your post and answered my own question.

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I Try to Paint when it's a minimum of 65? in the shade. If you can heat your garage up to that then go for it.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

You're going about painting your boat the right way, but you possibly have over thought the process. You're not painting a show car.

I would have hit the boat with acid based pontoon boat cleaner, and it would have been clean in 5 minutes. Then a light sanding, prime with etching primer and shoot the final finish.

Many people use Rustoleum oil based enamel and a hardener, and it's available at Tractor Supply (TSC) and many other places. A quart will do it. If you're rolling the paint, no reducer is required. If you were spraying the boat, you would need a reducer, usually paint thinner. I'd suggest reading the label on the paint.

As far as wet sanding, etc., it's really not needed on an old aluminum boat.

jerkoz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i used rustoleum marine top coat paint on my aluminun boat with the high density foam roller.i did not sand between coats and it came out fantastic.i just preped it right. you can not tell it was painted with a roller.

SeanP99

Recruit

Jerkoz, did you use the marine top coat paint as below the water line paint. If so, how is it holding up? I want to repaint my aluminum fishing boat with the same paint

jerkoz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i did not originally, but after talking to a rep. from rustoleum he informed me that it is ok to use the top coat paint on the bottom if you trailer the boat.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Paying the extra cost of the topside paint gains you nothing except a lighter wallet. The Rustoleum Professional Alkyd/Oil based paint or any other Alkyd/Oil paint with the added hardener will actually give you a much better and durable finish for less money.

"Paint Your Boat for Under $100 Bucks"

FishAssasin

Recruit

Well here it is. Took me awhile and it is not perfect but for my first boat I am satisfied.

Attachments

• Before.jpg
    Before.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 8
  • Paint.jpg
    Paint.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 11
  • Interior.jpg
    Interior.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 8
  • interior2.jpg
    interior2.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 7

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Very nice! You did an excellent job!
Enjoy some good fishing!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Looks sharp. What paint did you go with and what's that blue color called? Looks just great.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Yeah, Details Man, we need some Details. It REALLY looks Good!!!!!

FishAssasin

Recruit

I started by sanding and using the wire wheel once finished with that I sealed the seams with Goop Coat It and did all of the wood work so that I could carpet it and get it ready for the install while the paint was drying. It took me a while and a lot of cardboard templates to get the floor right but it turned out pretty good. So I got the wood fitted and cut then put on several coats of spar varnish. Once I got good enough weather to paint I cleaned the boat with 50/50 vinegar and water, dried it, hit it with self-etching primer, and then the next day clean metal primer. I started with the inside of the boat. The next day I painted the first coat on the inside using the roll and tip method, I used the Rustoleum Smoke Gray oil-based paint with enamel hardener from Tractor Supply mixed in. Ended up putting three coats on both the inside and outside. Flipped the boat, taped everything off and painted the gray on the exterior and then used Rusto Royal Blue on the sides. It took me about a week and a half of painting everyday to finish it. Took me a bit to get the hang of the roll and tip, found out I was putting too much pressure when tipping. But I got it finished, back on the trailer, carpeted floor and bench installed and wired and out on the river catching fish about a week and a half after painting. I waited for it to harden as long as I could stand as the Stripers were starting to bite on the river.

tdoga2

Recruit

I started by sanding and using the wire wheel once finished with that I sealed the seams with Goop Coat It and did all of the wood work so that I could carpet it and get it ready for the install while the paint was drying. It took me a while and a lot of cardboard templates to get the floor right but it turned out pretty good. So I got the wood fitted and cut then put on several coats of spar varnish. Once I got good enough weather to paint I cleaned the boat with 50/50 vinegar and water, dried it, hit it with self-etching primer, and then the next day clean metal primer. I started with the inside of the boat. The next day I painted the first coat on the inside using the roll and tip method, I used the Rustoleum Smoke Gray oil-based paint with enamel hardener from Tractor Supply mixed in. Ended up putting three coats on both the inside and outside. Flipped the boat, taped everything off and painted the gray on the exterior and then used Rusto Royal Blue on the sides. It took me about a week and a half of painting everyday to finish it. Took me a bit to get the hang of the roll and tip, found out I was putting too much pressure when tipping. But I got it finished, back on the trailer, carpeted floor and bench installed and wired and out on the river catching fish about a week and a half after painting. I waited for it to harden as long as I could stand as the Stripers were starting to bite on the river.

Wow. Just wow. She's beautiful and you clearly did a fantastic job. How is the paint holding up?