Aluminum boat paint help

Status
Not open for further replies.

rick3b

Cadet
I have a 66 Lonestar in great shape. I stripped the paint down to the aluminum. I left some paint on the bottom because it was hard to take off. Also on the top, I just sanded the old paint and it has a few bare spots. Should I prime the whole boat? Or primer is not needed where there is sanded paint? What kind of paint should I use? I always trailer my boat and the most I spend on the water (salt) is about 8 hours max. The aluminum looks great right now, and I have also given thought of just leaving it unpainted. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

shipoffools

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Aluminum boat paint help

Use the "search " on this site enter "painting aluminum" and you will find the answers to any questions you could ever have about painting an aluminum boat. I redid a 1976 Starcraft this spring and got all my answers from the guys on this board

petrolhead

Chief Petty Officer

Unpainted aluminium will dull quickly, although a good waxing may help.<br />Paint doesn't like to stick to aluminium unless you use the correct zinc chromate etch primer first, after that you can use whatever marine paint you like over the primer.

voxmorgan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Petrolhead good suggestion with the etch primer. Just a quick note for you if you’ve never sprayed this type of primer before. The typical mistake when people use this produce is they apply too much and the paint peels off. Most of the etching primers I’ve used are greenish in color and when properly applied the primer it will be translucent and the bare aluminum will appear to have a greenish tint. If you apply the primer so that you can’t still see the aluminum you have applied too much. It’s just a dusting that you want. After that you can apply an Epoxy Primer and then either a Enamel Automotive Paint or 2 Stage automotive paint (Color / Clear).

CTD

Petty Officer 1st Class

Read the instructions on whatever you use, many epoxy primers are not supposed to be used over etch primers. If you're going to use an epoxy primer (good stuff) clean the metal and use some type of conversion coating then epoxy. for just spots I would use the zinc chromate then prime and paint of if the zinc primers say its ok just paint over it.

luvtofish

Recruit

I have a 1992 smokercraft, it is blue/grey. I need to touch up the blue in several places. I contacted smokercraft and they do not have the paint I need. Where or How can I match the color and buy some?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I have a 1992 smokercraft, it is blue/grey. I need to touch up the blue in several places. I contacted smokercraft and they do not have the paint I need. Where or How can I match the color and buy some?

Welcome to iboats.

You need to re-post this and start your OWN thread. Dragging up a thread fro a LONG time ago is not proper and considered hijacking.

I will lock this one and look foward to you question re-posted in a new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.