aluminum boat- CHEAP resto help

aarongreen123

Petty Officer 2nd Class
12boat.jpg
attached is a pic of a 12 foot boat that i was given for free. it seems to be in good shape, just need to put the 3rd seat back in the bow as it has rotted out. the boat has been painted a few times, and is pealing in different areas, inside and out.

what i am looking for is the cheapest way to clean this up. i am open to either just removing the paint and leaving the aluminum finish, or repainting. i have read about a hundred ways to do either but am seeing very little consistancy in the prescribed methods. let me know if you would need any more info in order to give me a recomendation, emphasis on cheap/simplicity if possible. keep in mind it is 15 degrees outside so i can't really use any water in the process, however, if this is an impass i'll wait until the weather warms upin a few months, i would love to start now though.
thanks

Last edited:

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: aluminum boat- CHEAP resto help

What picture???

You will probably get away cheapest repainting with rustoleum....... but you will not paint with anything as long as the temperature is below 60...... your project is on hold!! You could sand a little bit.

aarongreen123

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i had attached a pic to the original post. i have a building i can heat for painting. would rustoleum adhere well? i'm fine with that if it will work. i used a orbital sander on a couple of the spots with loose paint, and it went straight to the bare metal. if this is a solution what grit is best for it? is it an option to just leave it as bare aluminum? would i need to treat it with anything?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

If you sand down to the bare aluminum then you will need to prime those places with a zinc chromate self etching primer which is made for aluminum. Yes rustoleum will work fine but you need to be above 60 (at least) and use the roll and tip method for painting

You should not need to sand with anything but 220 grit

aarongreen123

Petty Officer 2nd Class

is there a method that i can use for just sanding off the loose/flaking paint and maintain the factory layer such that i can't just paint over old paint that is solidly attached? i could use a can of the rustoleum spray aluminum primer for the parts that i've sanded through already?

blynch35

Cadet

you could try a wire wheel s/s to get the big chunk's off then sand with 220,clean well give it a 50/50 rub of water/vinager it will help . then use rustoleum self eaching primer then paint the rustoleum color you want it's really simple most could be done in a weekend but make sure to heat the are above 60.

have fun.

aarongreen123

Petty Officer 2nd Class

finally getting back around to this beast. is there a prefered rustomleum product or do most guys just use the interior/exterior in whichever color? satin or gloss? thanks gents

CBGale2

Lieutenant Junior Grade

This is the stuff.

040111130916.jpg

aarongreen123

Petty Officer 2nd Class

cool, got a lowes up the street. i can't seem to find that exactly product, the 7586, i'm assuming that that isn't gloss, all i can find is the 7786 which is semi gloss. am i right that anything gloss is going to show all the imperfections?

CBGale2

Lieutenant Junior Grade

That 7586 is the paint code so ignore that. As long as its the high performance pro stuff thats what you want. Comes in about a dozen colors.

CBGale2

Lieutenant Junior Grade

awesome. they had it got one coat on the hull

My boats upside down waiting for some rusto. But I don't think its ever going to warm up enough to paint. Post some pictures of yours so we can see how it turns out.