Alum. Performance ???Props

Boilermaker

Petty Officer 1st Class
IS there ANY truth to the advertising claims used by some of the aluminum prop manufactures??? <br />SOLAS is claiming 5 to 10% H.P. increases due to larger exhust flow on there AMITA 3 blade prop. <br />They also make a 4 bladed Aluminum prop (Amita)that I am interested in for use as a ski towing/rough water/stump pulling prop...<br /><br />Turning point has the same claim for their Hustler series>they also claim that their prop's ... "Newer performance enhancing designs mirror high performance stainless steel propellers..." They also claim to be the only Aluminum prop with vent holes.<br /><br />Michigan Wheel makes similar boasts about its alum. props<br /><br />My question is are any of the aftermarket ALUMINUM props superior to the OEM Alum. props available today??? And if so, What prop???<br /><br /> My current setup is a '78 115hp Johnson,18ft boat, Stiletto 17"pitch prop 5200rpm @ 38mph gps. I am looking to try a 15"pitch prop without the expense of another Stiletto, just to try it out. I am leaning toward the SOLAS AMITA 4 blade.<br /> As always THANKS for ANY HELP!!!

walleyehed

Admiral
Re: Alum. Performance ???Props

Take the hipe for what it's worth...what are they basing it on??? we don't know...<br />If you go to a 15P, you may have to raise that engine some to get the RPM up...as close to 5800 as you can get.<br />I know there isn't a 17P alum out there that will touch that Stiletto...

Boilermaker

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Ken, I like the midrange & top speed of the Stiletto, but the holeshot leaves a bit to be desired! I don't think it would pull up a skier unless it was a little kid.<br />As for the x-dimention>>I'm on the 3rd hole up>and the stiletto breaks free at about 3/4 up trim, so I don't think the last hole up would help.<br />I was wondering if that 4 bladed SOLAS Amita would be a better choose then the OEM 3 bladed aluminum prop??? Just looking to try something different to get the holeshot back.

walleyehed

Admiral

The 4-blade Solas might be ok in a 15P...I'm sure it would help hole-shot some...you may loose 1-2 on the top-end though...

Boilermaker

Petty Officer 1st Class

I started working to improve the setup with a lot of advice from DHADLEY (thats why I went with the Stilleto>NO regret there) and reading the many posts by yourself, Dhadley, and others more knowledgeable then myself. <br />When I doubted my engines performance, Dhadley suggested that I get a shop to verify my tach and to put the engine on a test wheel to verify the engines output is up to snuff. <br />I called 5 Johnson/Evinrude dealers here on Long Island and ALL said that I am in the ballpark with 5200-5300RPM! They ALL dissagreed with running the engine any higher then 5500rpm. One said that engine puts out max power at 5300,(engine tag said 115HP@5000rpm) and after 5500rpm you have to be very careful with air/fuel ratios.<br /><br />3 of the 5 dealers outright refused to put it on a test wheel & check it out>>>They all said they dont touch engines older then 10 years old!!!<br />I asked one if he was a JOHNSON DEALER, why not check out a Johnson Engine??? I pointed out product loyalty and longevity ect... He said BRP doesn't stand behind ANYTHING before yr.2000, so they don't really want to touch anything that old. <br />I pointed out to him they still sell the parts ect... but it was a loosing conversation.<br /> He told me the owner of the marinea doesn't want any work from something older then 10 years old! I said I would keep that in mind when I buy my new boat next year!<br /> Of the other 2 shops I spoke with, one would check it out, but not until the end of May or begining of June>>>I understand that they are in the busy season, but I just want a test wheel run up with a shop tach to check my TELEFLEX tach.( I have seen post that their readings are questionable)<br /> The other dealer wants close to $300 to do the job. >>>Put on a prop & tach>run engine $300?????<br /> :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: <br />I checked a few independent shops that mostly deal with Johnson/Evinrude, they all pretty much said the same thing>>>5000 to 5500RPM>>> Don't worry about carbon loading from lugging...that 5200-5300 was NOT lugging the engine???<br /><br /> One said he would put it on a dyno for me, that would tell for sure if i'm getting the power I should be. He said that the dyno will read out in PSI (I am assuming oil pressure from the dyno pump) on a gauge and then they cross reference it with a chart. He said it would be at least $200>>>$85 per hr per man ...2 men to set up, warm up, and run the engine up. I have never seen a dyno for an outboard, but what could take over 2 hours to set up and run up an engine???<br /> I may just go to him to satisfy my curiosity! Seems that I can't find someone else to check it out. <br /> Thanks for reading>>>I have to stop making such long posts!<br />Jim