Alternator wiring 89 OMC 5.8, engine will not shut off

Metrodriver

Cadet
I just installed my 5.8 L OMC Ford engine in an 89 Bayliner. I started it, it runs but will not shut off. I have the feeling my aternator wiring is wrong.
The purple wire comes from the "run" position on the ignition key switch and turns red/purple just before the alternator. A yellow/red wire comes from the switch and goes to the solenoid.
On the attached pictures, what stud on the alternator does the purple to red/ purple connect?
Then there is a wire coming off the ignition coil, red / purple turning purple. Another purple/white wire is hooked up to the Ac stud and goes to the choke.

Problem I have: my engine won't shut off with the key!

Attachments

• photo340729.jpg
    photo340729.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 3
  • photo340730.jpg
    photo340730.jpg
    231.2 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,...... How do you have the alternator wired now,..??..??

Metrodriver

Cadet
As in the pic, only thing missing is the ground wire that is hooked up to the stud with the capacitor

Attachments

• photo340780.jpg
    photo340780.jpg
    533.8 KB · Views: 1

Metrodriver

Cadet
Found an electrical mystery. With the alternator removed, and the big plug disconnected with one lead from the ohm meter on the red / purple lead where it connects to the alernator (which is purple from ignition key) and read zero ohms on pin 1 through5.. Cut that wire suspecting a short. Made jumper wire, ran engine still no change, could not shut down. Removed alternator again. Then I put the test lead on the other small wire that attaches to alternator (purple, comes from the coil+), I am reading 14kohm on pin 1, 2, 3 and 5. Removed + from coil. No change. Removed - from coil, all went to infinity.

Do I have a bad (or badly grounded) coil?
Or a problem in my Esa module or shift interrupt swich circuitry?