Alternator help....

ldsmith

Recruit
first hi and thank u for clicking/reading

Ok I have an old alternator that has been repaired which has an external voltage regulator.

terminal posts on the alternator are as follows

Field Terminal
Regulator Terminal
Ground Terminal
Output Terminal

Regulator is as follows
WIRING CODE 4
RED...................TRIO(+)
BLACK .............GROUND
GREEN..............FIELD
YELLOW...........IGNITION

So i give the regulator 12v to the yellow
it gives me back 7.77v on both the green and red
and black is connected to ground post on the alternator

so here is how i wire it
Regulator...............................................Alternator..............................Other System
Green...................................................Field Terminal
Red......................................................Regulator Terminal.................Charge light on panel
Black....................................................Ground Terminal....................Ground on engine
Yellow........................................................................................... Ignition Switch
Output Terminal........................................Battery+

Hope this makes sense.... but this is still not outputting any voltage to charge battery and charge light on panel is still on. i have included a few pics below what also puzzles me is that i cannot see how the output terminal post is meant to output voltage as it looks its not connected to anything. i have been trying to get this to work for the last 2 days. anyway i just want to make sure i am correctly connecting it before i take it back to the people who repaired it.

Hope you guys can help thank u for taking the time to read.

WP_000229.jpgWP_000232.jpgWP_000034 (2).jpg

kahuna123

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Alternator help....

Honestly, get rid of all that and find an alternator shop. Tell them you want a self exciter. Two wires. Ground and a number six running to the starter positive bolt. DONE. Internal regulator. The alternator will start charging at around 1000 rpm and then continue even at idle. Don't get taken to the cleaners because its a boat.