Alternate Fuel Pump Location

Salmonseeker

Petty Officer 1st Class
The motor is a 2004 Johnson 50HP, now without discussing the reasons why.
Can someone explain this to me. My motor has an OMS pump, there is also an area where a non-OMS fuel pump could be mounted. It is located near the fuel filter and consists of 2 small tapped holes with a larger hole in the center that has a plug in it.

What is the center hole used for? Is it used to create the vacuum pulses for a different type of pump?

I know the 40HP model of my motor uses a pump at this location but does not use the center hole. Instead it uses the same pulse hole with the pulse limiter fitting that my OMS pump uses.

Is there a reason why OMC does not use this center hole anymore for the vacuum pulses?

Will this hole work with a certain fuel pump?

If so what is the part # for this pump?

Again, I do not want to get into reasons why I need this information.

Thank You in advance,

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Alternate Fuel Pump Location

the answer is yes to your question. the block mounting point is for the fuel pump, and the center hole is the pulse point. it uses the 2 line fuel pump in the link below, with a gasket between the pump and block. this the proper installation.

some one has used the 3 line pump, on your 40hp, and used the existing vro pulse line for the pulse. this is fine also.

the reason it is there is that the block was used for different applications, as the 48sp. it also facilitates, deleting the oms fuel pump and premixing gas.

hope this explains for you.

http://www.iboats.com/Johnson_Fuel_....271380--**********.025249288--view_id.271387

Salmonseeker

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks, that answers almost all my questions.

Just two more.

The center hole that is used for the pulse point, Is there some type of fitting that is screwed into there?

I believe I read that if changing to a standard fuel pump that one could eliminate the pulse limiter fitting and replace with a standard nipple for the pulse line, Is this correct?

Thanks Again.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

the standard fuel pump mounts directly to the block, with a gasket between the block and the pump. no fitting necessary, and you block the plus limiter fitting. you can just plug the hose, or find a plug for it.