Alternate controls to replace 1980’s to 1990’s outboard controllers?

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
I’m hearing that the thumb PTT control switch is obsolete and people are hoarding these controllers. Does anyone know if there are any aftermarket switches available or even aftermarket controllers out there?

Or if none available, are there kits that allow for up down dash mounted switches that I could adapt (like the old merc style) while using the controller for throttle & gear selection also?

Thanks in advance

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Gee, a simple internet search should tell you the answer. A lot of aftermarket controls work for Merc and other brands of engines. The search should show PTT switch type and engine fitment.

I never heard of the obsolesces of thumb switches.....

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Any control box with the big red plug works on a motor with the big red plug.-----Not very hard to find in my opinion.-----Your location ?

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
Thanks! I’ve not been able to find any with or without T&T on either kijiji or marketplace (the control boxes with the red plug that is) I’m seeing aftermarket controllers but not ones with the red plug. I did locate controls that are panel recess mount bun no harness to dash ignition. Would you know what PN that harness would be?

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
Hey am I crazy to think that a mercury controller cannot work on an Evinrude motor? No hold on a second here, I’m not looking to walk into a cannon fight with a pocket knife. The reason I’m asking is I’ve been considering a recessed controller instead of the box mounted controller. I’m trying to remove the mercury wiring harness that goes to the dash and recessed controller sorry I mean throttle controller. And the wiring underneath the dash is beautiful. Whoever did this was an absolute pro. So why can’t I just cut off the mercury prong plug and put a big red plug on it instead and use the same harness? Seems asinine to rip it all out from underneath the dash.

All this controller is is throttlegear tilt trim?? And looks like a Killswitch also.

On the dash this wiring appears to go to ignition switch, tachometer, and I haven’t really been able to tell the rest. I really don’t want to cut all the zip ties and undo all this beautiful work

Attachments

• 2B591CC7-E462-47B9-87E7-463CCF9494D7.jpeg
    2B591CC7-E462-47B9-87E7-463CCF9494D7.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
Merc plug. Can the red plug be wired up in its place?

Attachments

• AAA835A0-6E70-4F9C-9EAA-8E921D38BD1F.jpeg
    AAA835A0-6E70-4F9C-9EAA-8E921D38BD1F.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 0

ScottinAZ

Senior Chief Petty Officer
not an expert, but the plug should be able to be wired past, just match function for function. Bigger issue in my eyes would be the control cables. can you get them to match on both ends, and are the throws going to be the same, or similar enough to get full function?

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
Thanks, are all cables not standard? The ends at the motor look the same but I did not compare side by side.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Merc throttle cables and shift cables are different, but can be swapped for Johnny type. Biggest issue is that Merc pushes the throttle closed and Johnny pulls the throttle closed. Also, the shift throw may be different.

Wiring for the most part, could be adapted.

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
Merc throttle cables and shift cables are different, but can be swapped for Johnny type. Biggest issue is that Merc pushes the throttle closed and Johnny pulls the throttle closed. Also, the shift throw may be different.

Wiring for the most part, could be adapted.
Thanks Chris. This is great to know. That’s what I love about this place. So definitely worth removing and going with an OMC controller.