Alt belt shrinkage.............

RIDEPATE

Petty Officer 1st Class
On my new to me 5.0. Took it to the pond this weekend for the first time after replacing almost everything related to maintance except the Alternator-belt, it looked and felt O.K.
On plane-out it slipped about 30 seconds at first, then caught-up. It got longer and longer with each holeshot untill finally it would not catch-up and the smell of burning-rubber was over-powering.....I reduced the belt down to about 1/4 in width... The alternator feels ok when spun by hand, no binding or notchy feeling, it charges fine, alignment looks acceptable.
It was a problem tho with the PO, and I knew it when I found a shoe-string of a belt in the boat.
The pulleys do have some rust-pits.
In all my I/O boating years, never ran into this one. What do I need to look for from here??
I've replaced the belt and got it banjo-string tight now. The PO was not the most mechically-inclined, which was obivous, and the belt-tension adjusts up-ward on the mount, which is very difficult to get it tight. I'm hoping he was just a D/A and didn't know what he was doing......

cr2k

Captain
Re: Alt belt shrinkage.............

Squeeling then stopping is a sign of loose belt and battery in need of charge. Belts squeel until battery get up to full charge. Sounds like you need to be tighter, but don't go to tight or you will br replacing both the alternator and the circulation pump bearings.

Are your pullys rusted or rough? If so this is grinding your belt away.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The pulleys do have some rust-pits.

I would bet it's more than "Some rust" and that rust acts just like sand paper on the belts. They need to be cleaned up sanded smooth, and repainted. I use rustolem spray paint, allow to dry completely (couple of days) before installing a new belt.

RIDEPATE

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would bet it's more than "Some rust" and that rust acts just like sand paper on the belts. They need to be cleaned up sanded smooth, and repainted. I use rustolem spray paint, allow to dry completely (couple of days) before installing a new belt.

That was the real answer in my mind. The pulleys are pitted to some extent, would not call it severe, but it's there. Ok more work.........

RIDEPATE

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok Pulleys felt like 60-grit...........pulled, re-painted. Not even a squeak today........But I did empty the whole P/S pump into the bilge because of this cheap POS................

214uiy0.jpg