Alpha1 gen2 upper shift shaft bushings

donnyskz1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 2001 mercruiser 4.3 with the Alpha 1 Gen 2 outdrive. There serial number of the outdrive is OL738082. I do not have the serial number of the motor as I had to change it last year and when I pulled the old motor there was no tag anywhere to be found on the block. I am having issues with water dripping from the shift cable. I know the water is coming from the upper shift shaft seals. I have changed the seals and the bushings. Started the boat everything seemed to be fine until I put the boat in gear. After about 5 minutes there was water dripping from the cable again. When I pulled the outdrive I can see where the water was coming up through the shift shaft seals again. When I replaced the seals I had also replaced the upper shift shaft. I removed the upper shift shaft and pulled the upper bushing and seals. When I removed the seals I noticed the holes where expanded a little more when the seals are first installed almost as if the shaft is not perfectly in line with the bushings. What is the best way to install the seals and the bushing. I have made my own press type tool to remove and install the bushings. I used a section on 5/16 threaded rod with multiple nuts and washers to create my press.