alpha one shift problem.

skipper6567

Cadet
model is alpha one 1.5 to 1 mated to 5.7 on 1986 260 wellcraft. The work done so far is new shift cables complete kit installed. That is both the command to "plate" and lower shift cable kit installed from "shift plate" to o/d. I have installed at least 50+ mercruiser lower shift cables. This is the new style cable from mercury,inner and outer cable,boot,cable end. the install went smooth, installed drive, followed adjustment setup to the letter. The finale test out of water was ok. Shift interupter switch was working,could hear the engine die for split second.
Now to my problem, I launched boat and it went into reverse just fine. It came out of reverse as it should with the assist of the cutout switch. Problem start,put lever into forward and would not engage,not even a grind. I had engine cover off and could watch both cables moving. I then tried reverse and just a slight grind but not engaging. Engine was just idling 650rpm or so for 15 min s and put in forward and it locked into forward just fine, came out of forward fine, then no reverse, tried adjustment of slide, command cable, went back to start and reintalled and adjusted tio factory specs 6 inches center to center in forward[yes locked in forward] slide adjustment is at the bottom. I tried every adjustment and the problem comes and goes.
I can while the engine is running with shift cable off manually shift it to forward to reverse,nuetral to forward and neutral to reverse, its acting like the cabe is stretched, seems like the distance the cable has to travel is longer than it does. I am pretty sure my problem is inside the drive, Im looking for input on what parts inside the drive would,should I be looking at?? I have also tried two brand new inner core lower shift cables inside the new cable just to rule out cables. it feels like its all correct if I use my hand to ut it in gear both f and r work fine. Mystery to me?? thanks in advance. Im just gonna throw another drive on it for now but still need to get this one working correctly.

Deano39

Cadet
Re: alpha one shift problem.

model is alpha one 1.5 to 1 mated to 5.7 on 1986 260 wellcraft. The work done so far is new shift cables complete kit installed. That is both the command to "plate" and lower shift cable kit installed from "shift plate" to o/d. I have installed at least 50+ mercruiser lower shift cables. This is the new style cable from mercury,inner and outer cable,boot,cable end. the install went smooth, installed drive, followed adjustment setup to the letter. The finale test out of water was ok. Shift interupter switch was working,could hear the engine die for split second.
Now to my problem, I launched boat and it went into reverse just fine. It came out of reverse as it should with the assist of the cutout switch. Problem start,put lever into forward and would not engage,not even a grind. I had engine cover off and could watch both cables moving. I then tried reverse and just a slight grind but not engaging. Engine was just idling 650rpm or so for 15 min s and put in forward and it locked into forward just fine, came out of forward fine, then no reverse, tried adjustment of slide, command cable, went back to start and reintalled and adjusted tio factory specs 6 inches center to center in forward[yes locked in forward] slide adjustment is at the bottom. I tried every adjustment and the problem comes and goes.
I can while the engine is running with shift cable off manually shift it to forward to reverse,nuetral to forward and neutral to reverse, its acting like the cabe is stretched, seems like the distance the cable has to travel is longer than it does. I am pretty sure my problem is inside the drive, Im looking for input on what parts inside the drive would,should I be looking at?? I have also tried two brand new inner core lower shift cables inside the new cable just to rule out cables. it feels like its all correct if I use my hand to ut it in gear both f and r work fine. Mystery to me?? thanks in advance. Im just gonna throw another drive on it for now but still need to get this one working correctly.

Did you ever figure this out? i'm having the same problem...

Josh P

Petty Officer 1st Class

when mine did this i ended up setting the length 3 times before it was right.. not sure why. I set the barrel legnth to 6 inches then when i had my issue i remeasured and it was off..

Check out this video its by one of our members here, it shows adjustment procedure.
Mercruiser Alpha Shift cable adjustment - YouTube

Last edited:

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant

The finale test out of water was ok. Shift interupter switch was working,could hear the engine die for split second.

I am pretty sure my problem is inside the drive, Im looking for input on what parts inside the drive would,should I be looking at?? I have also tried two brand new inner core lower shift cables inside the new cable just to rule out cables. it feels like its all correct if I use my hand to ut it in gear both f and r work fine. Mystery to me?? thanks in advance. Im just gonna throw another drive on it for now but still need to get this one working correctly.

Part 1... This is very interesting, because the shift interrupt switch does not activate "out of the water" so you shouldnt have heard your engine die at all.
Part 2....one theory may be loose bushing(s) in the shift shaft in the drive (if you are "pretty sure my problem is inside the drive"). This could cause shift problems as have been seem by others. Again...just a theory but easily confirmed by inspection.

Best of luck!

Last edited: