Alpha one outdrive oil?

Levithan

Banned
Quick question.
My alpha 1/Gen 1, is it 80w90 synthetic that it uses and approx. how much will it take?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Alpha one outdrive oil?

about 1 1/2 qts or untill it comes out the top hole

Levithan

Banned

It is just standard 80w90 automotive synthetic gear lube correct?

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

It is just standard 80w90 automotive synthetic gear lube correct?

No, this is what you want to use:

Amazon.com: Mercury Marine High Performance Gear Lube 32 Fl Oz SAE 90 92-858064k01: Sports & Outdoors

Not just automotive gear oil. There is a big difference. The Marine oil will blend (turn milky and stay milky) with any water that might enter your outdrive and still offer you protection. Automotive gear oil doesn't have the additives to blend with the water and you will have a layer of oil and a layer of water sitting in your drive which

1) will not lubricate gears sufficiently
2) the water in the drive (especially if salt water) will rust the gears.

For the few extra dollars it will cost you don't cheap out. New or rebuilt drives are expensive!!!

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

No, this is what you want to use:

Amazon.com: Mercury Marine High Performance Gear Lube 32 Fl Oz SAE 90 92-858064k01: Sports & Outdoors

Not just automotive gear oil. There is a big difference. The Marine oil will blend (turn milky and stay milky) with any water that might enter your outdrive and still offer you protection. Automotive gear oil doesn't have the additives to blend with the water and you will have a layer of oil and a layer of water sitting in your drive which

1) will not lubricate gears sufficiently
2) the water in the drive (especially if salt water) will rust the gears.

For the few extra dollars it will cost you don't cheap out. New or rebuilt drives are expensive!!!

I hate to disagree but, There IS NO NMMA (or other industry) marine spec for hypoid gear lubricant.

Mercury Claims HP Gear Lubricant will continue to perform with "water contamination"
Specifically formulated to help prevent failures due to water entering the gear housing..........................
.................Since no industry-wide standards exist concerning marine gear oils, it is essential to use products such as Mercury High-Performance Gear Lube which has been specifically designed and tested for marine applications.
[emphasis mine]

Only a few gear lubricant manufacturers actually claim their oil will still meet "specs" when contaminated with water. Am$oil actually posts their (claimed) results for the ASTM D-3233B (FALEX ) test with 10% water contamination.

Others make similar "claims" (for their own branded oil of course!!!), but offer NO "evidence"

I suspect THEY ALL WILL meet ASTM standards for lubrication with up to 10% water contamination.

The only way you'll know you have water contamination will be to drain some and see if it is present. You SHOULD drain the oil (and change it at the end of the season prior to winterization.

Just another "oil thread" .........ymmv......

Rick

Oshkosh1

Ensign

^^^^^^What HE said^^^^^^^^^^
It's a gearbox. Fill it till it with ___________80/90 till it flows out the top, run it and don't worry. If you have water intrusion, then it's a maintenance issue...NOT a lubricant problem.

dan t.

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Actually automotive 80w90 blends with water just fine. During services I routinely find pickup differentials with white milky oil in them. More common with people who launch boats on a regular basis. The procedure is drain flush and refill. I find lots of pulled off or broken vent hoses, lets the water in when launching.

Levithan

Banned

Bought the merc hp synthetic stuff.
17.00 a litre which isn't bad for syn fluid.

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

Man I been using Castrol for the last 10 yrs in my Alph1 Gen2 and have no adverse affects and or no metal shards and or particle on the drain plug magnet whatso ever!