Alpha One Gimbal Ring Symptoms for Replacement

wewefirex2x

Petty Officer 1st Class
Please forgive me in advance for being a novice.
I bought this boat last June and was commisioned with No problems. 1989 Monterey 1900 Cuddy Cabin 5.0 Merc. I have a Alpha One outdrive. The boat is in the shop and the mechanic says it could need a gimbal ring? The outdrive moves horizontally left to right with some slack in it, about an 1" each way. :% The boat does have power steering. I was told the steering play is coming from not having a "load" on it.

There has to be something other than the gimbal ring that's bad and possibly cheaper?

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
Re: Alpha One Gimbal Ring Symptoms for Replacement

That's not a cheap nor easy fix if it is worn out, and it sounds like it is. I have found it easier and cheaper to find a used complete transom assembly and replace the entire thing. We went through that with my dad's boat and after disassembly etc decided upon the replacement route.

Coors

Captain

Is the outdrive pulled? Did he check the u-joints? when did the last owner service the drive?

tommays

Admiral

Even when there brand there not tight like a car but at some point they do wear

http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Servmanl/6/6B4R3.PDF

The best thing you can do is read this so you have and idea about the parts that are worn and whats involved in the repiar

You should be able to shake things around and see just whats going on

Tommays

wewefirex2x

Petty Officer 1st Class

Coors, the outdrive will be pulled in the morning to get a better look at what's going on.

Coors

Captain

check the bellows and shift cable while it is off; easier and cheaper to do it all at once, and it is an on-going maintainence that needs to happen; yearly.

wewefirex2x

Petty Officer 1st Class

Coors, I am going to replace shift cable, impeller, bellows if needed and steering cable.

To also answer your question above this was a brokerage boat and did not recieve any maintenance records.

JUSTINTIME

Captain

replace bellows
shift cables and impellors
lube up the yoke also
it is going to get $$$$$$$$$$$$

wewefirex2x

Petty Officer 1st Class

The mechanic said gimbal ring? is it the gimbal ring or gimbal housing?

gimbal ring sits against transom
gimbal housing is what moves up and down inside ring

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

wewefirex2x,

Not correct:

Gimbal ring pivots left and right.
Gimbal housing is on the transom.
Bell housing goes up and down and connects to the bellows.

From your description of the problem, sounds like the gimbal ring. Those things list for around $1800 new.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Quite honestly, if all your drive moves is 1" side to side,and includes all the slop in the cable, PS, and gimbal ring, then that is about as normal as thing gets. If it moves 1" without moving the steering arm inside, now that's a problem. Usually the Ubolt at the top of the gimbal ring gets loose, and the slop between the steering shaft and gimbal ring wears out the gimbal ring. Cause it's aluminum and the shaft is Stainless steel.
Here is a picture of a gimbal ring. I marked in red where the area of wear will usually be found if it's bad.

Gimbal%20Ring.png

wewefirex2x

Petty Officer 1st Class

Bruce: Thank You for clarifing

Don S. The problem is exactly what you said, the drive moves but the steering shaft does not.

Now i'm in limbo of whether or not to keep this boat. Is it worth me sinking over 2000 grand into or move on?

tommays

Admiral

If your going to keep buying old boats you will allways need to do things to bring them back to good condition

If the boat has a good motor and there is not rot in the stringers and transome then its going to be hard to find a boat that age that is perfect

Tommays

wewefirex2x

Petty Officer 1st Class

Your right Tommays but try explaining that to my wife

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I would try to find a used gimbal ring that is still in good shape.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

You did tighten the two bolts on the top of the gimbal ring, correct?......:)

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

Back to my suggestion.... unless you are very mechanically inclined, I would not try removing / repairing the gimbal ring itself. If you look around on the various auction sites you can usually find an inexpensive complete used asembly. I recently purchased a complete assembly - including gimbal housing, gimball ring, bell housing and inner transom shield/bracket for a few hundred dollars. You will need to pull the engine to replace the complete assembly, but trust me, that is MUCH easier than trying to repair the existing housing.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Fishermark said:
Back to my suggestion.... unless you are very mechanically inclined, I would not try removing / repairing the gimbal ring itself. If you look around on the various auction sites you can usually find an inexpensive complete used asembly. I recently purchased a complete assembly - including gimbal housing, gimball ring, bell housing and inner transom shield/bracket for a few hundred dollars. You will need to pull the engine to replace the complete assembly, but trust me, that is MUCH easier than trying to repair the existing housing.

I agree, messing with all of the bearings & the cost of the gimbal ring itself, it would be an option to just replace it from the transom shield back......:)

Coors

Captain

BOAT= bring out another thousand.

jollymon

Petty Officer 1st Class

wewefirex2x

I had the exact same problem, but the play was about four inches.

I had a friend come over that is a merc mechanic, he brought his impact gun, I had the compressor, and an oxy/acetelyne tourch. He heated up the area around the two pinch bolts that tighten the Gimbal Ring around the stainless steel shaft, then used the impact wrench to remove the bolts. We then replaced them.

It took longer to mix him a drink then it did for him to remove and replace the bolts. He was concerned that we may have to drill the bolts out, but we made out ok.

It sure beets replacing the whole unit. As long as there is a space between the two halves of the gimbal ring, so it can be tighten you should be fine.

Let us know how you make out.