Alpha One Gen 1 lower shift shaft question

junseld84

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Jun 15, 2009
Messages
6
I have two questions regarding the lower and upper shift shaft seals/bushings. When idling on muffs should water be coming out from around the lower shift shaft. I've posted a link to the video below. Also note a small drip from the upper shift shaft bushing. If that bushing is leaking, is it likely the upper bushing that sits between the exhaust and drive shaft cavities is leaking as well? I tried to remove the upper shift shaft when I had the drive off last to inspect it but the shift lever arm wasn't budging so I left it.

Warning sizable video at this link: http://sdrv.ms/12Z89Jx

Thanks in advance for any advice.
 

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Joined
May 19, 2004
Messages
27,468
Re: Alpha One Gen 1 lower shift shaft question

Video won't play on my computer. Site wants me to download a piece of software... Not going to happen!!! Please try Youtube.

Ok. Water leaking from around the BOTTOM of the upper shift shaft is normal (no seal, just the bushing and that's pretty loose). If the top seal is leaking then water will get into the shift slide cavity and cause a whole mess of problems. If you can't undo the screw in the lever arm, you're going to have to break the arm and put a new on in (not unusual), just make sure you crack it across the screw hole so you can pull a piece off each side of the top of the shift shaft.

You might also have the old style bushing/seal. That was superseded about 20 years ago and a new and better bushing is available (and this one actually is better)... Part number for the new bushing is 23-805041A2...

Chris......
 

junseld84

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Jun 15, 2009
Messages
6
Re: Alpha One Gen 1 lower shift shaft question

Sorry about that. The video was uploaded from my phone to Microsoft Skydrive so it "shouldn't" be asking for a file download. Here is the youtube link in anycase: Alpha one gen 1 water leak - YouTube

I assumed that the shift lever would have to be broken and since I didn't see any evidence of water leakage, I didn't see a reason to proceed any further. Thanks
 

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Joined
May 19, 2004
Messages
27,468
Re: Alpha One Gen 1 lower shift shaft question

The screw holding the lever to the shaft is loctited... And there's a plastic washer under it, so you can't heat it up the break the loctite... :facepalm:
 

junseld84

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Jun 15, 2009
Messages
6
Re: Alpha One Gen 1 lower shift shaft question

I'm starting to understand that :facepalm: follows a lot of the descriptions of how boats are engineered... So in regards to the lower shift shaft bushing/seal leaking water, is that normal as well? I suspect not but want to understand what I'm looking at when I pull the drive again this weekend...
 
Last edited:

junseld84

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Jun 15, 2009
Messages
6
Re: Alpha One Gen 1 lower shift shaft question

Just to clarify, I'm concerned about the water leaking from around the lower shift shaft. The area circled in red in the screenshot from the video. Capture.JPG
 

84EdH

Chief Petty Officer
Joined
Apr 30, 2011
Messages
575
Re: Alpha One Gen 1 lower shift shaft question

what you have circled is the intermediate shift shaft and it fits in a loose bushing and is not designed to seal out water.
 

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Joined
May 19, 2004
Messages
27,468
Re: Alpha One Gen 1 lower shift shaft question

Had a look at the video... The water coming from that point is normal. However. You shouldn't be running the engine with drive trimmed up that far. It does put an extra stress on the unis...

Oh, and that drive, she's not an Alpha One, it's a Mercruiser '1' drive (MC-1 for short), ran from 1967 to 1982... ;)

Chris.........
 
Last edited:

junseld84

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Jun 15, 2009
Messages
6
Re: Alpha One Gen 1 lower shift shaft question

Thanks for the reply, I feel silly for not doing enough research about the drive to know the difference. Thanks for the clarification. On to the next problem....
 
Last edited:
Top