Alpha One Clicking in Forward, Stalls in Reverse

jeb6294

Seaman
‘87 4.3/175 Alpha One Gen 1. Got the fueling issue solved and got it running, but that’s just brought up a new problem.

Just got the drive back on after replacing bellows, impeller, new shift cable, new sealed gimbal bearing and greased u-joints. Put it into gear to make sure it was shifting okay. In forward it’s making a clicking noise. If I try shifting it into reverse, it stalls.

Need to adjust the shift cable?

Scott06

Admiral
Or replace. If you remove lower shift cable form shift plate you should be able to shift it easily with two fingers, no pressure to move it. If it doesnt move then pull drive and go through linkage to determine where the hang up would be.

If cable doesnt move smoothly or has too much stretch you wont be able to adjust it. Also debris in pocket where shift cable goes in bellhousing and issues with swivel shaft can hang it up too

jeb6294

Seaman
Did some adjusting and the clicking in forward is gone but reverse won’t engage. Doesn’t stall shifting into reverse though. Do I need to adjust again or is it normal to have to move that lower cable stud up to get it to go into reverse with a new cable?

Attachments

• IMG_0689.jpeg
    IMG_0689.jpeg
    220.7 KB · Views: 2

Scott06

Admiral
Did some adjusting and the clicking in forward is gone but reverse won’t engage. Doesn’t stall shifting into reverse though. Do I need to adjust again or is it normal to have to move that lower cable stud up to get it to go into reverse with a new cable?
yes the slot on reverse lever is there to fine tune reverse engagement. If someone has the factory manual I believe it is outlined in there.

This is the best adj video I have seen

jeb6294

Seaman
yes the slot on reverse lever is there to fine tune reverse engagement. If someone has the factory manual I believe it is outlined in there.

This is the best adj video I have seen

I’ve watched that one and another one by SEI. I think I followed all their steps/measurements, but still no reverse. The SEI one does talks about moving that stud up in the slot. I just wanted to make sure it’s not odd to have to move it up with a new cable. They make it sound like it’s to adjust as cable get old and stretch.

Scott06

Admiral
I’ve watched that one and another one by SEI. I think I followed all their steps/measurements, but still no reverse. The SEI one does talks about moving that stud up in the slot. I just wanted to make sure it’s not odd to have to move it up with a new cable. They make it sound like it’s to adjust as cable get old and stretch.
I'm not sure. Elsewhere in the manual is a procedure to measure the angle it takes to shift the drive. I think this is used to check for wear to shift components inside the drive. Might be worth looking at but would try moving it on the slot to see if you can get it to work.

You said this is new cable is it an OEM or aftermarket ?

jeb6294

Seaman
I'm not sure. Elsewhere in the manual is a procedure to measure the angle it takes to shift the drive. I think this is used to check for wear to shift components inside the drive. Might be worth looking at but would try moving it on the slot to see if you can get it to work.

You said this is new cable is it an OEM or aftermarket ?
It’s a Sierra.

jeb6294

Seaman
I got it. I double checked all my adjustments and then moved that stud up a little bit. All is well now. Starts, runs, prop goes in forward, stops in neutral, and goes in reverse. No clicking and no stalling.