Alpha Gen 2 Y tube flappers

party barge

Cadet
Back to the flappers....They have a revised version of flappers I saw. They flap down on both sides now from the middle like a Duck Bill opens.

Does anyone know by experience if these make noise against the tubes and are very tight against the tubes too?

I installed these and then right away recognized a noise that sounds like a journal bearing in infant stages. I can feel the pipes rattle too. Do these new flappers have that much action in them? wow..

I am gonna remove them tomorrow to know for sure. It would seem to me if the journal was going soon it would be less oil pressure. To really make sure, I am gonna also cut open the oil filter and look for metal.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Alpha Gen 2 Y tube flappers

The new style of flappers are a bit of a pain to get in properly, so they don't bind and work properly. They also don't make any noise that I have noticed.
If they do seem to be moving a banging around, my guess is you have a leaky exhaust valve and it's getting sucked back closed to hard (and loud).
Maybe a compression test and a leakdown test would be in order just to verify you don't have a problem. What happened to your old ones?

party barge

Cadet
Re: Alpha Gen 2 Y tube flappers

I had an extreme overheat on this new engine and they burned to a metal skeleton. I am gonna do some work today to isolate just how far the heat went. Seems to me the block had some water feed the whole time, very minimal though but the GLM aluminum exhaust really got hot. When I took them all off for a reseal I put in these new flappers. I do suspect leaking exhaust valves. I am hoping the bottom end does not have a journal knock and it is these flappers then I will continue on with a Vortec head replacement and move on. :cool: