Alpha Gen 2 Trim Bushings are outrageous!

DoubleStuf

Recruit
I know, I know... "Bust out another thousand" Now that that is out of the way, can anyone recommend a cheaper alternative for replacing the plastic bushings on the hydraulic trim rams for a Mercruiser Alpha One Gen 2 outdrive? I am midway through doing a bellows/gimbal bearing job and pulled the hydraulic rams off. On inspection I noticed several of the bushings are worn or cracked(They are just thin plastic after all). Would love to replace them but the cheapest I have found are $6 each! (There are 8 required) Amazon sells a kit with 8, but they want $58! I see stuff like this in the hardware store all the time for 0.49 cents. Anyone have a good suggestion for getting these replaced cheaper?

mr 88

Commander
So your crying over 48.00 in parts ? How long have you owned a boat , or anything with a engine ? Something is going to break sooner or later. If 48.00 upsets you , it's time to get out of boating. Hardly worth the reply ,but I did

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Could just buy a 3d printer... About $500 for a printer, $.20 in filament, and a couple hours time to design/print it.

Or just pay $48!

briangcc

Commander
Just putting this out there...

If you see them cheaper all the time elsewhere, then by all means take one of your parts to that store and match it. Whether it lasts as long as a Merc part is anyone's guess.

In the grand scheme of things, the OEM parts are less than a tank of gas for my boat. It's a no-brainer, I'd be buying Merc.

Lectro88

Petty Officer 1st Class
I 2nd. This is not worth a reply but here goes.
Go buy yourself a lathe or CNC machine and make or turn your own.
Spend hours with dial calibers getting it correct and several hundred dollars in material stock that you will probably never use again.
Not sure what you will do if a Real repair is in need.
I guess it’s cheaper to Sink…
Sorry I have no pity for anyone grumbling about less than a $100. For parts on “hobby” or components.
I spend that much in cola and crackers a month.
Time to take up flying.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
$58 is cheap. buy them and go boating

3D printed parts do not have UV stabilizers, so that route ends up with a part that lasts a few months

@DoubleStuf if you are balking at simple replacment parts, I wonder if you are doing all the required maintenance. Boating is one of the worlds most expensive hobbies. more expensive than racing and close behind owning an airplane

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Have you tried PartsVu.com? They are mu goto site now for Mercruiser parts