alpha drive shaft, same for gen 1 & 2 ?

bounder4465

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just bought a used-up 92 bowrider with a Alpha Gen II, with a busted center u-joint socket assembly. From what I have found checking gen I and II part numbers on www.ishopmarine.com web site, it looks like any alpha drive shaft assembly will interchange with my gen II. Anyone know for sure?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: alpha drive shaft, same for gen 1 & 2 ?

Yes, they are the same.

bounder4465

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks Don, I found a drive shaft at a local boat repair shop today that junks out a lot of older stuff. He has one from a late 80's alpha gen I for $25 ! He was not sure if it would interchange. I am a sucker for a deal.

Bondo

Staff member

There are 2 different Length Input Shafts......<br /><br />Older In-line motors used a shorter shaft at about 8"s..........<br /><br />Other than that, the Input shafts are the Same,at about 9"s, for the Pre-Alphas, Alpha 1s, Alpha 1 GenII,+ the Bravos..........

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

carefully inspect the input yoke seal area.if its grooved dont use it.the yokes were notorious about rusting/grooving and leaking all the lube from the upper to the bellows when tilted. longevity is some what decreased when the upper is dry. dont try to reposition the seal unless you make a tool to hold the seal square in the carrier :) :) . I made one that will place the seal.030" aft in the carrier but its not reccomemnded.

gregdorado

Seaman Apprentice

g/day bounder i fitted a alpha 1 leg to a gen2 gimble housing and had afew head aches. the main problem being the nut that holds the gear in place and sets the preload would keep coming undone everybody told me the input shafts where the same except for the extra oring. i eventally put them both side by side and found that the gen2 has a longer area for the gimble bearing to run on. i have since fitted the gen2 shaft and the problem was fixed. if you do fit the alpha 1 shaft check for knocking sound when you turn or trim the leg. i didnt have to move mine far for it to make a noise . :D

bounder4465

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the info on the shaft. I will be sure to check the length, and for wear on the shaft. My nephew has a 96 with an alpha gen II that knocks on a turn. I will tell him to check the area machined for the gimble. He bought the boat used, so you never know who has swapped parts for what.

Bondo

Staff member

Your Nephew needs New U-joints installed......