Alpha Couplers used on Bravo 1s?

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander
I purchased a used boat that I had to replace transom. Believe me, this job has taken its tole on my old body! I have owned Mercruisers V8s since the 80s. All were Alphas. An incompetent marine surveyor missed the rot! Motors are carbureted (Edlebrock) retro-ed 350s to "stroker" Chevys. Not Vortex! They ran very well at sea trial. Drives are Bravo 1. The best that I can research, each motor produces 310-20 hp and have 14" flywheels. I cannot easily access each motor's serial number due to heat exchanger hardware. Casting numbers indicate Mexican built 4 bolt mains. Former owner had replaced Alpha drives with Bravo 1s dated in 1995 (serial numbers on gimbal housings.) Motors were replaced or updated around 2015, per owner's build sheet. Boat always stored dry but used in salt water. After pulling all metal to replace rot, I notices little if any rust on motors/manifolds/flywheels, which supports some of the former owner's statements. I did have to replace Y pipes, which were very corroded. Per some of Iboats Forum followers (thanks), one coupler appears to have heated up and warped internally due to flexing of rotten transom. Aligning with MC tool was not perfect. Sound logic! Original couplers were Alpha style triangle shaped (3 bolts) with good teeth (no teeth wear that I could see) but not specifically for Bravos. I ordered a new Alpha coupler to replace the one that is warped and will go back with the it, including the remaining good coupler (assume) on the other motor. Vendor informed me AFTER I had purchased new coupler that the Alpha coupler will not fit a Bravo, but that is exactly what came in the boat. Any opinions are appreciated? Thanks!!!

alldodge

Staff member
The Alpha coupler will fit a Bravo input shaft and vice versa, they have the same spline. The Alpha is designed for less HP/load. Just install and go boating.

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander
The Alpha coupler will fit a Bravo input shaft and vice versa, they have the same spline. The Alpha is designed for less HP/load. Just install and go boating.

Since, at best, an only increase of 60 HP from 260 HP 350, I agree! But, I wanted opinions. I have mostly owned Alpha. THX!!!!

alldodge

Staff member
They used the same coupler with the early 454's which where around 300hp