Alpha 2 not coming out of gear after new interrupt switch.

Stinnett21

Chief Petty Officer
2002 Alpha gen 2, 5.0 MPI serial 0M345638. In the spirit of preventive maintenance I replaced my 20 year old 1500 hour shift interrupt switch. I removed the shift plate to reach the small nuts on the back of the switch and put everything back together. Now it won’t come out of forward for about 3 or 4 seconds after switching to neutral. Wait 3 or 4 seconds I hear a click then it comes out of gear. Comes out of reverse fine. The switch was Quicksilver 87-8M0052935. It doesn’t seem like simply removing the switch plate would have affected adjustments. I didn’t mess with the barrels. What did I do wrong?

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Did you set the clearance to specification according to the manual?

If you press the switch, does the motor die?

Did you check all linkage adjustments? That would be my next step.

Stinnett21

Chief Petty Officer
Did you set the clearance to specification according to the manual?

If you press the switch, does the motor die?

Did you check all linkage adjustments? That would be my next step.
All I did was remove old switch and put a new in. I didn't try manually depressing it but it seemed to be killing the engine.

Stinnett21

Chief Petty Officer
Surely simply removing the shift plate from the elbow and installing a new switch and re-attaching wouldn't cause one to have to go through the entire set up procedure again. Maybe I'll put my old switch back on and see what happens.

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Surely simply removing the shift plate from the elbow and installing a new switch and re-attaching wouldn't cause one to have to go through the entire set up procedure again. Maybe I'll put my old switch back on and see what happens.
Probably don't need to adjust the cables. However there is some minor adjustment for the switch, possible the switch is either off center or too close to one side of the v notch. Plunger should be right in the middle at neutral position.

There is a stiffer v notch spring avaliable, sometimes this helps, otherwise you may have to check the shift cable adjustment and change accordingly.

nola mike

Vice Admiral
Just press the new switch and see if it kills the engine.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
No. Just hoping to avoid future problems.
And created them. That switch experiences a VERY low voltage (5v to be precise) and I've seen most of them last well beyond 30 years. It's not a mechanically wearing part, like piston rings.

Just replacing things 'because I can' isn't a good preventive strategy. Routine maintenance 'by the book' is your best way to prevent unexpected failures.

Chris....

Stinnett21

Chief Petty Officer
Point taken. Thanks to all. Any idea how to adjust out this issue?

Stinnett21

Chief Petty Officer
Am I correct that the adjustable stud it refers to in 11. a. on page 17 is the forward most stud on the lower shift cable?

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Other than the switch causing the issue…had the throttle assembly been disturbed and causing a higher idle than normal ?

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
My mpi occasionally has a shift interruption error. Happens at full throttle when the assembly nudge contacts the switch. Had to adjust the assembly to stop it happening.

Stinnett21

Chief Petty Officer
Other than the switch causing the issue…had the throttle assembly been disturbed and causing a higher idle than normal ?
No. The only thing I can think of is, I did some work on my controller over the winter while the shift plate was removed that involved moving the shifter. It may be possible operating it like this pushed something out of kilter

Stinnett21

Chief Petty Officer
The boat is an hour and half from the house in dry storage so not sure when I'll be able to get back. I'll follow the procedure in the manual and post back. Thanks to everyone

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Knew I'd seen it SOMEWHERE! Attached is the correct adjustment procedure for the switch...

Attachments

• Shift cutout switch adjustment.pdf
    92.5 KB · Views: 18