Alpha 1 seal help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alpha-1driver

Recruit
I have a oil leak where the lower unit shaft goes into the upper 90 degree head is.
I believe the seal on the shaft is bad. To replace this seal does the seal come out through the bottom or does the unit need to be fully disasembled to replace the seal.
I am hopefully that I can just pull the lower seal out and replace it with out a full rebuild.

Any one don this seal replacment this way.

Thanks

Alpha-1driver

Recruit
Thank you i have seen this . So would you say that it is possible to remove lower seal and replace it with out fully disasembling it?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
With an Alpha1 type the lower seal keeps water out, the upper seal keeps the oil in. You must disassemble the upper, remove the vert gear and shaft ,then drive it out from the bottom up.New seal is driven in from the top down with the lip facing up

WileyOompa

Cadet
Hey all, I am having a similar issue and I am trying to determine if this is what I need to do. I have a 2004 Mercruiser 4.3 with the Alpha One Gen II outdrive. I have pulled the lower unit off 3 times to replace pieces to try and figure out this leak issue.

I have had the boat shop replace essentially all the seals around the impeller and shift housing. They told me those are the most likely culprits of my leak. Today once it warmed up, I am still getting gear oil dripping. It is specifically leaking from the starboard weep hole in the lower unit. I am suspecting this issue is an upper housing seal but I dont want to be buying parts until I figure it out. Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_0167.JPG
    IMG_0167.JPG
    215.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0168.JPG
    IMG_0168.JPG
    236.4 KB · Views: 1
Status
Not open for further replies.