Alpha 1 Generation 2 Gimbal Ring Install

dkrider471

Cadet
So i'm about to change my gimbal ring on my boat which is a 1995 21' Wellcraft 210SCS. I bought a service manual and see what I need to do and I don't think i'll have any problems with it. So heres my question. I'm planning on buying the gimbal ring with grease fitting, install gasket kit, bellow kit, Trim sender kit because mine is bad, and prob going to replace the shift cable while i'm in there. Is there anything else I should be aware of buying? I'm not sure but i'm guessing i should replace the upper shaft as well? Any help would be greatly appreciated because I know how to work on cars, but boats are a whole other world. I'm highly mechanically inclined I just want to know what to replace while i'm in there instead of having to turn around and go back to it. Thanks.

odie241

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Alpha 1 Generation 2 Gimbal Ring Install

Welcome to I-boats

I just did mine this past weekend.I am also a Mechanic,but didnt know anything about boats.You might want to pick up a few u-joints also,they are cheap,and worth changing while your in there.Mine where fine,just looked really old,didnt have any play,but with replacing the gimble bearing,bellows,shift cable,impeller,I wanted to make sure everything was new,so it satisfied my mind knowing.

dkrider471

Cadet

Thanks for the fast reply. I was planning on doing that as well I just forgot to include it. As i'm ripping into the boat i'm finding little things that just aren't looking so well and the motor i'm actually pulling out for this job to make my life a lot easier on me. I was told something about the install kit is a little tricky to install. Did you have any problems with this?

odie241

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You might want to post your Engine size,and serial numbers for your motor and drive,and then the boat gods on here will tell you exactly what you need to know,with the tricks and such.I didnt pull my motor,but i have a older boat then you have,i didnt change my gimble ring,just the bearing,mine already had the grease zirk for the bearing,oh and take plenty of pictures,everyone here loves to see pictures,plus it helps others like us when we have problems.

dkrider471

Cadet

Do you mean gimbal beaRING?? WAYYYYYY different things;).

No its the gimbal Ring itself. Where the Square is it wore out and has tons of play in it. I posted some pics of it and its a 5.7 350 mag mercruiser. As for the serial number of it on the side I can't tell you because I can't find one listed. I've searched everywhere and the only one I found is the one thats listed in the picture. I know its a alpha one generation two for sure. I just am really unfamiliar with what has to be changed and what doesn't have to be changed. I read that you can cut a whole in to get access to the screws to remove the gimbal ring, but I really would rather not do that when it doesn't take that long just to lift the motor out of the boat. I have to do spark plugs and install a new carb on it anyhow so its not a big deal to me.

Attachments

• IMG_0917.jpg
    IMG_0917.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0914.jpg
    IMG_0914.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0916.jpg
    IMG_0916.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0915.jpg
    IMG_0915.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 0

dubs283

Vice Admiral

be aware that even pulling the motor may not give you enough clearance to get a wrench on the top nut on the upper shaft for removal

often times you MUST drill the holes in the gimbal housing to have access to the nut and the steering arm pinch bolt

here is a link to download the manual for your drive/transom assy:

http://www.4shared.com/document/dPQUcyn_/Service_Manual_14.html

there is very good info in it that pertains to the task you are attempting

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

be aware that even pulling the motor may not give you enough clearance to get a wrench on the top nut on the upper shaft for removal
often times you MUST drill the holes in the gimbal housing to have access to the nut and the steering arm pinch bolt

iF you have the engine out and cant get to the nut, just go the next step and remove the transom shield from the boat. Then you don't have to cut big holes in your outdrive.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

Before you do anything, try retorquing the two gimbal ring clamping screws at the top of the ring, if you have not already done so. It may tighten everything up. Your shaft (upper swivel pin?) is probably OK, since it is stainless steel and the ring is aluminum. You might try these guys for a ring rebuild to save some money: http://www.jrmarine.com/products/gimbal_repair.htm Good luck.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

S I'm planning on buying the gimbal ring with grease fitting.....

I am not sure you can do that. The grease fitting was on earlier gen I gimbal rings that used roller bearings on the lower swivel pin. The gen II, I believe uses an oillite type bearing on the lower swivel pin and I do not believe the two are interchangeable. Better check.

Brentathon

Petty Officer 1st Class

You may want to replace the Upper Swivel Shaft and the Seal. JR Marine makes a replicated version out of 17-4 PH stainless steel (it's awesome), and it's actually cheaper than the crappy stock one (non-stainless).
Also, I just replaced the upper & lower bushings in the Gimbal Housing for the Upper Swivel Shaft; they were totally shot. The coating on the I.D. was completely gone, and the lower (larger) one, was paper thin on one side. They were the toughest part of the job (the removal), and my job even included the "drilling holes" method.......the locknut of the swivel shaft was actually simple.
I also replaced my Lower Swivel Pin; it's an anodized aluminum pin with dubious continuity that had significant "crevice corrosion".

dkrider471

Cadet

Thanks a lot for everyones help. I started tearing into and checking everything as I go. I decided not to cut into the gimbal housing. I'll be sure to post some pics as well.

PS94

Petty Officer 1st Class

JR Marine makes a way nicer plate than Merc. It's stainless, and goes on the rear of the transom mount, rather than making your engine look like frankenstein.....