alpha 1 gen2 stalls

QSS

Seaman
Hi guys my alpha 1 gen 2 mercruiser stalls when shifting from fwd to reverse i have just changed the lower shift cable and adjusted it according to the manual it is better but still stalls from time to time i,ve wound the idle up to 950rpm and that has improved it but still stalls sometimes should i replace the remote control cable as well or does anyone have any other ideas?

chiefalen

Captain
Re: alpha 1 gen2 stalls

Do you know what is recommended for you motor to idle in gear on the water?

In other words to shift and it ain't 950 rpms your gonna blow your gears.

Bondo

Staff member

it ain't 950 rpms your gonna blow your gears.

Ayuh,.... 650/ 750rpms is where you've gotta be....

You said it's Stalling,... Is it caused by the Shift Switch,..??

If it's stalling because the shift switch is activating,...
The Problem is in the Lower Shift Cable, or the outdrive itself...

If the switch Isn't activating,...
Your problems are elsewhere,+ need to be diagnosed...

QSS

Seaman

Yes its stalling because the switch is activating. i,ve changed the lower shift cable and the lower unit shifted easily when i had it out. the cable is free and not binding up at all. i was thinking maybe the remote cable from the control box might be sticky. does this sound possible.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i was thinking maybe the remote cable from the control box might be sticky. does this sound possible.
The remote control cable does not activate the shift interrupt switch. There is something binding in the new cable. Perhaps the drive end of your new cable. Does the end turn easily and smoothly with very little play?

WHEN is it stalling, going into gear, or coming out of gear.

chiefalen

Captain

Ok disconnect the lower cable from the shift converter does it move free the upper cable.

If yes then the lower needs to be adjusted and the idle brought down.

QSS

Seaman

Ok disconnect the lower cable from the shift converter does it move free the upper cable.

If yes then the lower needs to be adjusted and the idle brought down.

Don a little bit of both going in and coming out of gear.

cheifalen when you say disconnect from the convertor do you mean the bracket on the exhaust manifold or on the lower unit itself??

also guys i have disconnected the shift assist ram as it was worse with it connected?

chiefalen

Captain

Exhaust manifold.

Do i think thats the problem no. I think you messed up installing the lower cable.

But you can try it to see if the upper cable and shift converter is moving freely without the lower being connected to it.

QSS

Seaman

I installed the cable as per OEM manual and didn,t mess it up it shifts fine by hand when i disconnect the cable from the main bracket at the exhaust manifold (next to the shift assist ram). as this is the V8 version. its only when fit the cable back up i,m having the problem with it. thanks anyway guys i,l sort it.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Even if the cable between the helm control and the engine is VERY stiff to operate, it will NOT activate the shift interrupt switch. It is not your problem.
You should be able to disconnect the forward cable from the engine side. Then move the bracket manually with the engine running (on muffs at 650 rpm) and it should NOT activate the shift intrerrupt switch at all.
Do you have the OEM service manual (NOT an aftermarket manual) and followed the adjustment instructions?

QSS

Seaman

thats exactly what i,m doing don and it works fine(doesn,t activate the cutout switch) its only when back in the water it stalls again. i got the manual from you on a thread a while ago you posted it here and i followed word for word. i think it may just be an adjustment then.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

i think it may just be an adjustment then.

Most likely. FWIW - the boat needs to be in the water so that there is a load on the prop for the shift interrupt system to function. It should do nothing in the driveway running on muffs.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

If you continue to have problems you may want to look at your intermediate shift shaft. I had replaced the lower shift cable on my dad's boat a few years ago as he was having similar issues. The cable didn't seem to be the problem but I replaced and adjusted it anyway. We still had problems on occassion with it stalling. Long story short, at some point in the past someone had apparently tried removing the outdrive with the unit in neutral and had bent the intermediate shift shaft. It was hard to discover as the bend was slight and it would only bind when everything was bolted up and mated together. If all else fails, pull the lower unit and remove the shaft and see if it is bent. It's a long shot... but something worth checking if you have tried everything else.

chiefalen

Captain

Fishermark thank you for that tip, i have to call someone that it might help.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

when was the last time your boat had a complete tune up.... and what is your in gear idle rpm's on the water? (as per a shop tach... not using the boats tach)

QSS

Seaman

Had full service and tune not long ago been playing with the idle screw to get it to stop stalling so fromm 650 to 950. i think i,l put it back in the water and try adjusting again..

chiefalen

Captain

You read the link on how to run a carbed motor? You starting the motor and cold taking off and it's stalling??

Go to the adults only at the top of the forum and scroll down and click on the link.

The motor must idle between 650-700.

When you have it set then do the adjustment on the cable.

Then try shifting, if good then great. It's fixed with a simple adjustment.

Did you disconnect the shift interrupt switch?

Hook it back up you need it to stall the motor when you shift.

If the adjustment don't fix it, then once again, YOU MESSED SOMETHING UP INSTALLING THE CABLE.

Your insulted? Sorry the truth hurts. You think in close to 45 years i never messed anything up.

I don't mean to hurt your feelings, and i hope the adjustment solves your problem.

Good luck !

JustJason

Vice Admiral

Had full service and tune not long ago

The words "not long ago" doesn't mean a whole bunch. If it has been 1 year or 200 hours since it's had plugs, cap & rotor.... it's time to change them. If it's been 3 years since plug wires.... time for those to.

I would advise against....
playing with the idle screw
unless you know what your touching and why you are touching it.

It is SUPPOSED to idle between 650-700.... If it's not then there is an issue.(obviously) Playing with screws isn't going to fix anything.

I'd check the compression first... if it's up to spec then check the base timing and make sure it's nailed down to the degree. Next go through the tune up items and make sure everything is kept up according to spec. If all the tune up items are in order get some foaming 6 in 1 spray oil and start spraying around the intake manifold where it meets the head, the carb base/gaskets, and the throttle shaft and look to see if it gets sucked in (looking for an air leak).
If that all passes then more than likely you have a dirty carb, and it needs to be cleaned/rebuilt.