Alpha 1 Gen 2 water pump replacement

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Alpha 1 Gen 2 water pump replacement

Yes, you can get the get without the housing, PN 47- 43026Q06 impeller kit. Usually between 35 and 45 bucks on line depending on where you get it.

Jmunk

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you have a Bass Pro nearby they actually stock a fair amount of Merc parts, I got my last one there for $43 for the kit without the housing. Unless your housing is badly grooved I would just clean it and reuse.

mark1905

Chief Petty Officer

Yes, you can get the get without the housing, PN 47- 43026Q06 impeller kit. Usually between 35 and 45 bucks on line depending on where you get it.

Bing! Winner. $40 shipped from the same source.. boatfix.com.

If you have a Bass Pro nearby they actually stock a fair amount of Merc parts, I got my last one there for $43 for the kit without the housing. Unless your housing is badly grooved I would just clean it and reuse.

I will be installing mine tonight...is there a gasket between the upper and lower halves of the drive? Also, is it easier to remove the entire drive or only the bottom half? thank you

Bondo

Staff member

I will be installing mine tonight...is there a gasket between the upper and lower halves of the drive? Also, is it easier to remove the entire drive or only the bottom half? thank you

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Ya shoulda started a thread of yer own, instead of hy-jackin' this 1,...
But anyways,...

Nope, no gasket 'ween the upper, 'n lower, just the tiny o-ring....
I drop just the lower, for just an impeller...
Though, I'm more apt to be pullin' the whole drive, so's I can service the Whole drive....
Ya need a gasket set for pullin' the upper,...
Then you could grease the u-joints, 'n splines....

viper1

Petty Officer 1st Class

+
When your talking rotation of shaft for impeller. The shaft turns clock wise looking down on the lower unit when its out , Right?

FishHog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

+
When your talking rotation of shaft for impeller. The shaft turns clock wise looking down on the lower unit when its out , Right?

yup, exactly

viper1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Assemble the water pump face seal to a position approximately 1/2 of the way down the
drive shaft. Assemble the water pump face seal setting tool over the drive shaft and push
the seal down onto the water pump with the tool while pulling up on the drive shaft. Remove
the tool from the drive shaft

I don't understand why the tool? Doesn't the face seal just rest on the pump housing? It dosn't go between from what I seen and when I put it on it slid real easy. So what exactly does this tool do that wont happen if you just push it on?

viper1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey any body out there! LOL

sumodumy

Cadet

They don't always slide that easily - hence the need to use the tool.

Don S

The tool sets the face seal at the right height. To tight on the pump housing and it damages the seal, too loose and it doesn't work. Has nothing to do with how hard or easy it moves on the vertical shaft.

viper1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok that makes sense! Now if this isn't glued to the housing what stops it from spining on the shaft. I know you grease it but one would think it would spin some or after a while. That would probably change the height. Just asking because i'm a curious fellow. Not only like to know what to do but why we do it.

Don S

Put it together like the manual says, not how some hack with a camera says to do it :facepalm:

Look at reply #2 in this thread.

Typhoon90

Cadet

thank you for the pdf.
And as i understand mecanic, the seal will not turn with the shaft because there is more friction on the face than on the shaft, especially with that teflon lubricant on it? There is better ways that merc could have built that thing.

Don S

And as i understand mecanic, the seal will not turn with the shaft because there is more friction on the face than on the shaft,

It turns with the shaft, it just barely touches the pump housing.

There is better ways that merc could have built that thing.

There is nothing wrong with the design, just problems with people not reading the manual and doing as it says.

In the future, when you have a question, start a new thread and not hijack someone elses old thread per the announcement at the top of this forum.